water color

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Cool thing about activated carbon/charcoal, If using it for the filling of a pond one size would fit all. it really last a long time the key is running the water slowly through the filter and allowing the most contact time as possible. In a pond where water is being filtered through it a Half gallon seems to do the trick for me in 2500 gallons and last about 6-8 months.

Reaction score
so if i was to make 1 of these would 500g of it be enough or would i need 1kg or more? does it not matter? half gallon of it ?? the stuff i have seen comes in pellets

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, grams versus half gallons, neither of us is familar with the other. Pellet form is fine, seen those myself and they work great. A ladies panty hose leg full is enough for a large pond. but will work for a small ponf too, can't use to much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
What kind of flow rate would you want to have through something like this? We have had periodic aquarium crashes which we've attributed to something in the tap water, and I'm thinking this would be a fantastic idea to have in place when we refill the tanks.

We've lost over 100 neons after a water change. Other times we have lost a full tank of cherry shrimp, a tank of feeder guppies, and a tank of dwarf fish. It gets real disheartening after awhile when you take so much time to give them a good home, and then wipe out the whole tank with a single water change.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
the slower the better, the longer the water is in contact the more it removes. I would think Ammo carb would work even better as it is a mix of charcoal and zeolite which would help remove chlorine, ammonia and heavy metals all at once, as for the fish you named even better would be doing a water change with a R.O system for most of those.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
We have considered setting up an RO system, however we have over 600 gallons of fish tanks needing regular water changes - that's at least 150 gallons per week - which would be a huge expense to set up an RO system for that capacity. Nevermind that I don't know where we would store 150 gallons. So we fill up the tanks with a python, and try to condition the water as its being dumped into each tank.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
both carbon and zeolite can be rejuvenated as well ...zeolite in a strong salt water solution overnight..carbon on a cookie sheet in your oven 300* for 1 hour or so, if i remember correctly.

Reaction score
Unless the tannin is coming from the water source, probably not likely tannins. Could be some type of algae, but hard to tell without a pic.

Reaction score
heres a few pics

Attachments

• SDC11076.jpg
    SDC11076.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 187
  • SDC11075.jpg
    SDC11075.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 235
  • SDC11074.jpg
    SDC11074.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 257
Reaction score
One passing thought/guess. Could be iron, or organic iron. Is the source possibly well water or ground water? Is there a faint odor, by chance?

Reaction score
There is no odor to it.We havent had rain in a long time.It has been like this for months.I put the stocking filled with amonia carb so I will see if that will do anything

Reaction score
I cant keep plants in there because they eat them.No,I have not been doing weekly water changes.I have to watch how much water I put in because we have city water and it has chlorine in it

Ask a Question