Water flow meter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the kind offer. I'll message you if I end up needing it. Would rain not count as a water change? Last fall when I put the liner in, the pond filled up and spent most of the winter overflowing with each rain. This winter, I will be collecting at least double the water as I have a downspout draining into the pond that drains a section of roof with about the same square footage as the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't want to take the OP'ers thread too far off track so briefly, if your pond is simply overflowing, the water is probably being
added and removed from the very top of the pond. Some of the dissolved salt will certainly be removed, but how much is hard
to predict. To be certain I'd be sure check the actual salinity when planting time comes.
One more caution... rain water is often much more acidic than tap water. Be sure to monitor your KH level to prevent the pH
from getting too low and crashing. The PNW has less of an effect than the east coast since our weather is coming from the
Pacific ocean as opposed to over populated cities... but it's still worth keeping an eye on. Just my 2 cents. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for the kind offer. I'll message you if I end up needing it. Would rain not count as a water change? Last fall when I put the liner in, the pond filled up and spent most of the winter overflowing with each rain. This winter, I will be collecting at least double the water as I have a downspout draining into the pond that drains a section of roof with about the same square footage as the pond.
I'm not a proponent of putting any salt in the pond, ever. I'd do a salt bath for fish treatment but not in the pond. Plants don't like salts and even though you do water changes, some salt will remain. A ton of work to half change, half change, etc until you got the salt concentration down to negligible. Not worth it, imo, esp just for measuring your total gallonage. If your gage works from the pump, then let the pond fill and when you empty it of all that rain water, measure then.

smilie sword twirl.gif

Ask a Question