Water gulping plants...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
What pond plants drink the most water? Would 100 hyacinths drink 2-3 inches of water in 3 weeks? I don't have a leak Im just trying to gauge if pond plants could actually impact water level that much. I have very minor waterfall splashout and of course the sun evaporates the water but thats about it. I find myself having to add 2-3 inches of water every 3 weeks or so. I was just trying to determine how much the plants can impact water level..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Would you like an opinion?
Just kidding.:)

What is your humidity like this time of year? That can make a huge difference for plants as they will open their stomata depending on the humidity level.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
2-3 inches in 3 weeks? that's it? :( boo, I have 2-3 inches in a week! I have large surface area though (30 ft long stream, a bog, and a pond) so the water got heat up and evaporate easily there.

I think Addy has a lot of water lost due to her plants taking lots of water (through her bog) but that's because she has tons of plants and huge bog.

I do think my water hyacinths take a lot of water, but not noticeable in a day.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What pond plants drink the most water? Would 100 hyacinths drink 2-3 inches of water in 3 weeks? I don't have a leak Im just trying to gauge if pond plants could actually impact water level that much. I have very minor waterfall splashout and of course the sun evaporates the water but thats about it. I find myself having to add 2-3 inches of water every 3 weeks or so. I was just trying to determine how much the plants can impact water level..
That combined with evaporation, I guess it could in 3 weeks time. Do you have any other plants?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep and still wondering as I have been reading about how much water a plant can use and my humidity has been high for weeks now and no real rain except for last night a big storm but still not a lot of rain just a lot of noise and light show .My pond and plants are in full sun most of the day also .I lost over 8 inch's of water in about 16 days total and that is only from the time i noticed it .I had my driveway sealed on the 8th of this month and late that night we had a huge rainfall and my pond was up near the top of the pvc facing .Not sure if these pics show just how full it was The bananas roots were over 3 to 5 feet long 3rd pic is low water level and yes I have lots of water hyacinth also .So to me plants can drink up more water than you can ever realize .I took a lot of hyacinth out and trimmed the roots and also trimmed the roots of the grasses and the banana .So far i have lost about an inch as of today .I guess the pic of high water level I still have to find

Attachments

• lotus seed pond and property and eggplant  2015 013.JPG
    lotus seed pond and property and eggplant 2015 013.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 279
  • lotus seed pond and property and eggplant  2015 024.JPG
    lotus seed pond and property and eggplant 2015 024.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 293
  • pond leak or  plants 014.JPG
    pond leak or plants 014.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 260
  • pond august 19 2015 video also 002.JPG
    pond august 19 2015 video also 002.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 248
  • pond august 19 2015 video also 001.JPG
    pond august 19 2015 video also 001.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 250
  • pond august 19 2015 video also 057.JPG
    pond august 19 2015 video also 057.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 307
  • pond leak or  plants 027.JPG
    pond leak or plants 027.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 367
  • pond leak or  plants 028.JPG
    pond leak or plants 028.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 352

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think Addy has a lot of water lost due to her plants taking lots of water (through her bog) but that's because she has tons of plants and huge bog.
I add 45 minutes of well water a day, currently, at the beginning of the season I can get by with 25 minutes or so. The plants/ humidity/temperature make a difference.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I can easily lose 2 inches in 1 week due to evaporation out of my outdoor pond.
My pond temperature is quite cool so I'm having a bit of a challange keeping typical pond plants.
In my greenhouse and aquaponics system, I can have a great amount of evaporation but I can also control the humidity level from my misting system.
It's very interesting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Would you like an opinion?
Just kidding.:)

What is your humidity like this time of year? That can make a huge difference for plants as they will open their stomata depending on the humidity level.

Lol. Sure...honestly humidity has been good around here lately. When the humidity was high I had a tear in my liner that is now fixed so i couldnt gauge any other factor aside from the water I was losing from the hole

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was trying to find the article - maybe it was posted here - but I remember reading recently that 65% of all rainfall is estimated to be taken up by plants and released back into the atmosphere. So I would say, yes - plants can definitely impact the water level in a pond significantly more than one might think.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Our humidity here is usually about 35 - 55%.
New Jersey humidity is about 70% right now, ( I just checked)
Your evaporation/plant transpiration rate sounds about normal.(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Meyer, thanks for that, but I'm confused as to why the study included pan evaporation rates and not relative humidity levels.
I'm not sure how to correlate the two values.

Ask a Question