Water Level Decreases

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,
I’m having issues maintaining the water level of my pond..I have 2 ponds, one settling/filter area where pump discharges water from recirc and flowing to the 1st pond and to the 2nd and suct back through a suction pipe to the recirc pump to the settling/filter..i tried to isolate each pond by shutting down the recirc pump and installed temp stick level to check if where is leaking...unfortunately i didn't see any sign of leakage on 2 ponds...i tried to throttle the discharge valve just to slow down the flow...But in still seeing the water level decrease but in a slower phase...approx 2 inch each every other day..any clue is appreciated..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You had the right idea shut everything down and if you need to get some plumbing plugs separate the ponds and let them be still until you find which is dropping if they both stop then you know it's your plumbing

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you are not seeing any level drop with pump off then your problem is probably in the plumbing for the pumps. Is there any place where the pipes are outside of the actual ponds? Pictures of your setup would help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are not seeing any level drop with pump off then your problem is probably in the plumbing for the pumps. Is there any place where the pipes are outside of the actual ponds? Pictures of your setup would help.
thank you for your input.
The recirc piping is running above ground under our deck..it so happen that some of the flooring of our deck have some spaces that i can seeunder..so i did verified the piping if leaking is present unfortunately i didn't see any leak...i will take photo when I'm back home and share it with you how the set up looks like..

Reaction score
Country
United States
You had the right idea shut everything down and if you need to get some plumbing plugs separate the ponds and let them be still until you find which is dropping if they both stop then you know it's your plumbing
Thanks for your input..Im planning to troubleshoot again tomorrow and shutdown everything...How long does the koi fish can survive in the pond without circulating water or flowing water..im planning to shutdown the recirc overnyt and check in the morning which pond is dropping...thanks...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would not shut it off at night as that is when the oxygen level drops the most .If you have an aerator it may be OK .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Sissy...unfortunately none..so if i do it the day how long should i shut off the recirc system..thanks..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
[QUOTE="Philhi2011, post: 423903, member: ..How long does the koi fish can survive in the pond without circulating water .
[/QUOTE]
they dont need moment as much as they need air. the fish will deplete the oxygen in the water. depending on the size of the pond and how many fish will determine how much air you need if it can be a large aquarium air pump or if it has to be a pond air pump

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could even put a pump in the pond that just shoots the water up .I do that in my upper pond to keep the water fresher .You can see al the air bubbles around the home made spitter
100_9346.JPG

Ask a Question