Water lilies,oil pan?

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a oil pan for planting lilies? Im curious because the pots online are so expensive compared to a $3.00 oil pan.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Plastic oil pans, plastic dish pans, kitty litter pans just about anything plastic that they will fit in.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
the pots online are so expensive compared to a $3.00 oil pan.

I recently bought a few 2.9 gallon pots for just over $2 a piece, but I rarely ever see pots over $4 a piece. They were bigger than I planned but they were the same price as the 1.9 gallon ones.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Walmart oil pans here. I like the fact they sit lower. Mine had a drain spout on the side of them, I cut them off so the fish did not run into them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have small dish pans and also bought some walmart oil pans for Addys lilys. I thought about cutting off the drip edge but didn't. I did run some sand paper around the edge to dull it some.

Reaction score
Thanks! I just picked 2 up from the Walmart. Nice and wide and not very tall. It is amazing how you can buy an oil pan for 2 or 3 dollars yet these pond places want three times that for pots to hold dirt! Just crazy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Thanks! I just picked 2 up from the Walmart. Nice and wide and not very tall. It is amazing how you can buy an oil pan for 2 or 3 dollars yet these pond places want three times that for pots to hold dirt! Just crazy.
I know! I'm so glad I found this friendly pond forum...I've learned lots of money saving tips:)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
funny you should say that but 10 years ago i did not know about what pots to use but i got the plastic pond pots end of season sale for 50 cents and 75 cents .2 different sizes and 10 years later and smaller plants got bigger I moved them up to the bigger pots .I have to say those pots have held up great ,not 1 crack or broken 1 .Maybe it is the plastic they used or something they add to the plastic .i have used plan pots and they usually fall apart in 1 season .I don't mind that as they usually need repotted any way .But makes me wonder about those pond plant baskets .I even bought a couple of years ago those pond plant bags on end of year sale .Only thing i like about them is that I can tack them together in the middle so koi do not root in them

Ask a Question