Water Lily Advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is a couple of months old. I have a green water lily plant but I don't know how deep to place it and if the rippling water from the waterfall is good/bad for it. The lid of the pot is just 1/2" below the surface and some uneaten fish food ends up in the pot and yesterday I noticed string algae in the pot. I pulled out the algae. I am thinking of relocating the pot to a deeper area but it would have to be closer to the waterfall as my backyard pond is fairly small.

THANK YOU for any advice.

Attachments

• Pond06_21.jpg
    Pond06_21.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 67
  • WaterLily06_21.jpg
    WaterLily06_21.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 73
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
And you want to move it away from moving water. They don't like having water splashed on them. Do you know the variety of the lily?
I'm not so sure of that, mrsclem; I have lilies surrounded on 3 sides with splashing, flowing water. It's even keeping the pads more or less contained now in the middle (had a ring net around this year so the surface current was thwarted but I did as you suggested and this year, they're subject to the motion/splashing) and I've already had 4 blooms (way earlier than last year, but I put this down to warmer temps). They seem to be doing just as well as the ones not in splashing's way!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The leaves can get burnt from the water splash. I have had some that dislike water hitting their leaves others don't seem to care.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Same - some don't mind it, some will not be happy. But I like my lilies to be a bit out of the splash zone just so the leaves can settle in that nice pleasing circle that is their normal growth pattern. If they are in a stong current or getting splashed from the falls, the pads get pushed out of the way and my sense of order gets disturbed... I'm weird that way!

Reaction score
Country
United States
And you want to move it away from moving water. They don't like having water splashed on them. Do you know the variety of the lily?
I don't know the type of water lily. It's the all green one shown in my photo. My pond is so small that all of it has ripples from the waterfall. Soft ripples so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I've placed it so that there is no direct contact from the waterfall. Thank you for your advice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wanted to thank everyone for their input.

My wife and I relocated the water lily pot to a deeper area of the pond. I was initially concerned as the pads did not reach the surface and I feared they would rot or otherwise suffer being immersed. To my surprise, within 48 hours the petals had grown enough to float on the surface and the plant is now thriving with healthy looking pads developing and spreading in a nice pattern. There's even a flower growing up in the middle of the pads.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Ask a Question