Water lily roots - trim or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a number of water lilies in my small / mid sized garden pond. They are doing pretty well.
This week I lifted them to feed them. They were really heavy (!) and when hauled out it,s clear they have grown a very healthy root system. (See pic).
I fed them with the nutrient balls and repaced them.
However, the white roots are now floating on the surface of the pond. (See other pic)

Looking for advice… should I:

- Just leave them, the will eventually sink.
- Trim them off - they will regrow.
- Find a way to weight them so they sink - they need to be at the bottom
- Live with it - but find a way to feed them in situ next year

If I chose to split them next year should I remove the roots then?

Any advice welcomed. Thanks

IMG_3650.jpeg

IMG_3696.jpeg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome smiles.gif
@PapaJ

I trim the roots way off and divide the tubers. Anywhere there is that bumpy eye w/a sprout trying to grow is where you can cut. I'd do it now while you have them out of the pond. The bigger they grow the more work for you. Some do it each year, others every few years. You can end up w/a lot of extra lilies so hope you have lots of pond friends! Oh and when cutting the tubers wear gloves unless you don't mind purple hands :smuggrin:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can use a bigger plastic pan like a big oil pan so you don't have to divide as often. The pan does not need holes in it. Just something shallow. I use 100% kitty litter to plant mine in w/o any added preservatives in it. Big bags of it are pretty cheap. I get it at Walmart called Special Kitty.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like free running. Ie not in a pot. I would chop back, ow it will get so heavy you won't be able to remove.

I had some jump their pot. Took three of us pulling to get them out. One season.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 162415 @PapaJ

I trim the roots way off and divide the tubers. Anywhere there is that bumpy eye w/a sprout trying to grow is where you can cut. I'd do it now while you have them out of the pond. The bigger they grow the more work for you. Some do it each year, others every few years. You can end up w/a lot of extra lilies so hope you have lots of pond friends! Oh and when cutting the tubers wear gloves unless you don't mind purple hands :smuggrin:
Thanks for this advice J.W. Much appreciated.
I removed them again and trimmed the roots. I'll plan to split the tubers next year I think.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like free running. Ie not in a pot. I would chop back, ow it will get so heavy you won't be able to remove.

I had some jump their pot. Took three of us pulling to get them out. One season.
Thanks addy1
They are actually in pots, but as you say they are getting pretty hard to handle!
For now I have trimmed off those roots and left them as is. Next year I'll get stuck into splitting the tubers and repotting.
Appreciate your advice

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They love to jump their pots. Mine were in pots. They jumped them.

I was about a year behind in grooming.

Ask a Question