Odd water lily growth?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was wallowing around in the pond trimming plants a couple days ago when I found a fading lily flower with this odd growth coming right up out of the center:
weird lily growth 01+.jpg

weird lily growth 02+.jpg

I know that water lilies make seeds that can & do sprout, but growing right up & out from a flower that has only been 'done' for a few days? Has anyone seen something like this before?

I stuck the cut flower back in the pond on a shelf & held it down with a couple rocks just to see what it was going to do, but I'm really tempted to try & plant the little thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
That is super interesting! I wonder if some lilies reproduce that way? If not, I know there is a plant disease that affects echinacea with abnormal growth. Two very different plants, though.
I think if this lily were growing in very still water -- it's possible that the seeds could have just sprouted there.
Really strange and cool!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Now that you mention it, this does remind me a bit of Aster Yellow type growth, but I couldn't find anything anywhere (via Googling extensively) that mentioned waterlily flowers doing this. It also sort of reminded me of when daylilies form proliferations on their stalks, but again I can't find any info about *water* lilies doing it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was wallowing around in the pond trimming plants a couple days ago when I found a fading lily flower with this odd growth coming right up out of the center:
View attachment 158895
View attachment 158896
I know that water lilies make seeds that can & do sprout, but growing right up & out from a flower that has only been 'done' for a few days? Has anyone seen something like this before?

I stuck the cut flower back in the pond on a shelf & held it down with a couple rocks just to see what it was going to do, but I'm really tempted to try & plant the little thing.
How interesting, can't wait to hear how it progresses. That must be one happy lily!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Now that you mention it, this does remind me a bit of Aster Yellow type growth, but I couldn't find anything anywhere (via Googling extensively) that mentioned waterlily flowers doing this. It also sort of reminded me of when daylilies form proliferations on their stalks, but again I can't find any info about *water* lilies doing it.
Yes, that is the disease I was thinking of. I googled, too, before mentioning it and couldn't find anything either!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I read that lilies can be propogated from a leaf cutting and there is a variety that sprouts leaves from the leaves but nothing showing what this is. It will be interesting to see if this plant continues to do this!
Yeah, I did find the leaf propagation thing when I was googling around, but nothing at all about it happening from a flower. So weird! I've had this particular lily for several years and it's always been a good, reliable bloomer but this is definitely a first!

Ask a Question