Water lily pads have decaying holes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello a couple days ago I planted my first water lily that I ordered online, the first picture is of it freshly planted. Over the last few day the pads have been decaying through these large holes that have appeared, they seem to be getting bigger and bigger, do you guys have any ideas why?

I have them planted in montmorillonite clay with rocks on top, the crown is not covered by the rocks. I put 3 fertilizer tabs in the clay. The lilies are near the waterfall, i know the ripples aren't ideal, could this be why? I know it has to be growing because a pad that was submerged reached the surface, and a new one is coming up.

My pond is 4000-5000 gallons and only has 1 goldfish in it

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 6.54.00 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 6.40.43 PM.jpg

bonus bush cricket

PXL_20230715_191357388.jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It could be that they are too close to the waterfall. They like still water. Water splashing on the leaves could cause the holes especially if you have full sun.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lily pads do age naturally - they have a life cycle of a few days to a few weeks, then they start to decay. But @mrsclem makes a good point - splashing water is not something they enjoy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It could be that they are too close to the waterfall. They like still water. Water splashing on the leaves could cause the holes especially if you have full sun.
The ripples give them little jostles, but I don't think they get splashed by the water

Ask a Question