Water Lily, to drown or not to drown....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey tbendl, I don't add anything but it's important to distinguish what kind of pond someone has. Mine is
IMG_20140813_193350_131.jpg
goldfish only and is not overly filtered like some koi ponds are. I have only two water lily plants in my pond. Currently I have about 3 or 4 flowers blooming at the same time.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
CometKeith, knowing what kind of pond someone has, is that to determine whether or not I need to use the Osmocote? I don't have fish, just plants right now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Use it! It's fertilizer. You'll need that. If your plants start to yellow add more (osmocote or other).

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just added my water lilies back to the pond, from where they've been living in tubs all summer. When they went in, the pads were a good 6" to a foot (3 separate plants) below the water surface. Within 3-4 days, they were floating on the water -- they grow fast to accommodate their depth.

As to when a plant / or what plant needs fertilizer -- from my understanding -- has to do with how it's planted. Those plants with roots that have direct contact with the water will draw nutrients from the water. Potted plants (like lilies) depend on fertilizer added to their soil -- these roots get their nutrients from what's in the soil.

Hope that helps!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I asked this question on another thread, but is it too late in the year to transplant my lily? I got the kitty litter, osmocote, and oil pan ready and would like to.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I asked this question on another thread, but is it too late in the year to transplant my lily? I got the kitty litter, osmocote, and oil pan ready and would like to.

I don't think it's too late. In fact, I think I've read where some folks do their "yearly lily care" in the fall so that everything is ready to "grow" when spring comes. I've transplanted at different times of the year and haven't noticed that it seems to make a difference to the plant [but I'm NOT a lily expert......by any stretch of the imagination!].

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm going to go for it then. For some reason I'm all excited to do this. I also am going to try what you did and move some WH into another holding pond I have that is really really green and see if they start to flourish. Then I can rotate them like you did. My own little science experiment... Muahahahaha.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm going to go for it then. For some reason I'm all excited to do this. I also am going to try what you did and move some WH into another holding pond I have that is really really green and see if they start to flourish. Then I can rotate them like you did. My own little science experiment... Muahahahaha.
At least you'll have a little longer "summer" there! I predict only about another month before growth starts slowing down here....

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It varies here. Last year was weird. I was carving Pumpkins in shorts at Halloween, at a pool party in short sleeves at Christmas.... And then watching it snow the end of January. I just go outside first thing in the morning and try to get an idea what the day will bring. I was wondering why the difference but then I saw that you are Northwest LA.
Do you have to do much for overwintering your pond TurtleMommy?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It varies here. Last year was weird. I was carving Pumpkins in shorts at Halloween, at a pool party in short sleeves at Christmas.... And then watching it snow the end of January. I just go outside first thing in the morning and try to get an idea what the day will bring. I was wondering why the difference but then I saw that you are Northwest LA.
Do you have to do much for overwintering your pond TurtleMommy?

Yep, same kinda weather, here!

Not really, other than cleaning up stuff from the bottom and trimming back the water lilies (oh, and count tossing the WH & WL). The first winter I netted the pond for leaves, but didn't get around to it last winter. And here, we have leaves that don't finish falling until Jan/Feb, so..... I have a 100 gal stock tank Skippy filter that I let run last winter, though I tuned it back a little. I had 3 air stones in the pond that I raised and floated just under the surface with pool noodles -- it was my solution to keeping the surface aerated for oxygenation, but in a way that wasn't pulling the warmer water from the bottom. The only thing that ever freezes, though, is maybe some water spray.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nope I potted some up in november, they did fine.

Ask a Question