Water PH

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry, my iPad decided to get wonky on me, then I couldn’t add or edit!

What I was tiring to say....WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR NOW:
  1. Find out what’s in your city’s water
  2. Buy a pond test kit, such as the API kit that tests for pH (hi-range and lo-range), ammonia, nitrites, nitrates.... Get a LIQUID kit and not test strips.
  3. Don’t do anything else to your water for now!
  4. Take and post some pictures of your pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
pH measurement is not probably. There is no test kit that measures above the 9s. Probably is not analysis. We can help but not with assumptions. I’m not trying to be difficult here. We as a group have probably helped dozens of ponders figure out the problem, and we can only do that with data. Cleaning will kill fish. Chlorine will kill fish. I kill fish with my stupid build mistakes. But pH does not kill. It only stresses. Unless someone puts lye or battery acid in the water. Muratic acid doesn’t kill fish in small amounts and that’s hydrochloric acid. So let’s understand what happened to cause a mass die off. Normally mass die offs are an environmental event. We would love to understand the information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b- 8a
Country
United States
@BRENDA BARAJAS What is your pH? Telling us that it’s “off” or “hi” doesn’t tell us anything at all. What are your other water readings? If you just cleaned everything, you probably destroyed the beneficial bacteria, and your pond is having to cycle all over, from the beginning. That will mess with all of your water parameter. And, if you have city water, did you add a dechlorinator when you filled the pond back up?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b- 8a
Country
United States
It has been at least 5 years since my only cleaning was done, I only used water to clean, no chemicals of any kind, other than just skimming the debris out is all I do now. Yes I do add dechlorinator, even though at the moment I have nothing in there, not even frogs which showed up in my pond on their own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b- 8a
Country
United States
It has been at least 5 years since my only cleaning was done, I only used water to clean, no chemicals of any kind, other than just skimming the debris out is all I do now. Yes I do add dechlorinator, even though at the moment I have nothing in there, not even frogs which showed up in my pond on their own.
Today I was told my pH is now 8. 4 to 8.8.
I asked them to do the liquid test instead of the test strip. That is when I was told 8. 4 to 8. 8.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b- 8a
Country
United States
Thank you. You really should purchase your own test kit and learn how to use it!
When I raised the pond to prevent runoff water entering the pond, it has been at least 5 years, when I cleaned I cleaned only with water and that has been around 5 yrs as well.
I did use a dechlorinator when I put things back together, I waited 24 hours before I put my remaining 2 fish back in the pond. 2 Days later they were dead. Had the water checked at that time and was told the pH was high but they used the test strip. I have had no fish in my pond since that time. The base of the pond is still in the ground. It is a pre-formed pond. I have no Concrete in or around. I do have river rock around the part that is out of the ground, just to hide the base. My Fountain runs continuously to keep the water circulated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Brenda, I am assuming your pond is preformed and not a liner type.
Perhaps this is a summary of your situation:
The 300 gallon pond was emptied in order to raise it above grade so runoff water would not pour into the pond. After the area was raised, you prepared the pond for reinstallation by:
- completely cleaning it before refilling it with new tap water.
- you added dechlorinator.
The fish were returned to the pond and died.
The pH is ‘off the scale’ which was verified several times by testing.
Your water company advised they recently changed the water chemistry.
Is this correct so far?
Where were the fish kept while the pond was being raised? How long did it take to do the job? You are lucky, there are many skilled members here to help. We are happy to have you as a forum member.
Stephen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b- 8a
Country
United States
Hi Brenda, I am assuming your pond is preformed and not a liner type.
Perhaps this is a summary of your situation:
The 300 gallon pond was emptied in order to raise it above grade so runoff water would not pour into the pond. After the area was raised, you prepared the pond for reinstallation by:
- completely cleaning it before refilling it with new tap water.
- you added dechlorinator.
The fish were returned to the pond and died.
The pH is ‘off the scale’ which was verified several times by testing.
Your water company advised they recently changed the water chemistry.
Is this correct so far?
Where were the fish kept while the pond was being raised? How long did it take to do the job? You are lucky, there are many skilled members here to help. We are happy to have you as a forum member.
Stephen
The fish where kept in a number 3 washtub with treated water. It took 2 days to complete the job of emptying, raising and refilling ,then 24 hours with new chemicals back in the pond. I only cleaned with water basically just washing it out and refilling.
This was 5 years ago and when the fish died I have not replaced any fish or anything else I just keep the pond clean and periodically check the water pH. What's considered high by their test strip test until today, when I asked them to do the liquid test to tell me the pH which was 8. 4 to 8. 8. Since my pond has nothing in it, the past year I have not added any chemicals of any kind. The only thing I was using for the pH was hydrogen peroxide which seem to have helped. Before I add a fish I will add dechlorinator to my water. Today's test was just for the pH. All other areas on the test strip were in the normal range with no chemicals since I have nothing in the pond. They ran a test strip first then I asked them to do the liquid test to know the pH level.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b- 8a
Country
United States
So.....this is all stuff that happened 5 years ago? I think I’m confused.....
Sorry about that but I've been working with a high pH for 5 years. Just happened to see this forum and joined to see what I could find out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b- 8a
Country
United States
Sorry about that but I've been working with a high pH for 5 years. Just happened to see this forum and joined to see what I could find out
Did not expect my water test to be lower today since it has been high for 5 years.
A pleasant surprise for me. Maybe I could have a fish survive now. Will soon try again and the next coming weeks. It has been very hot here in Texas. 108 today

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That’s perfectly OK — this is great place to learn. Your story was just a little confusing, and we always need to know as much as possible about a pond situation before we can offer help. I think it came across that this was a NEW, just developed issue. That’s why we ask a ton of questions — for clarification. It’s not always easy to give one good answer for any given situation because all ponds are different!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@BRENDA BARAJAS Where in TX? We have other members from The Lone Star State, and I am in the NW corner of LA....close enough to almost be in East TX. And yes, we had the same temps here today!

Ask a Question