sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had pond air and got it from a pond store and they told e that if you can't see air bubble that they may be to deep .I have mine down 2 and 3 feet and 1 only a foot down
101_0105.JPG
101_1562.JPG
101_1533.JPG

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Would you terribly mind retesting the water. Not that I don't trust your first results, but I want to see if this is a relatively dynamic or static condition.

@Meyer Jordan I tested again today, and ran each test twice because I was getting a few different results from yesterday.

Ammonia
Yesterday - 0.25
Today - between 0 & .25

Nitrite
Yesterday - 1.0
Today - between 0 & .25

PH
Yesterday - 7.5
Today - between 8 & 9 (I did top off about 1/2 inch yesterday that with my well water that runs through a calcium carbonate filter.

Phosphate
Yesterday - 0
Today - 0

GH
Yesterday - 7
Today - 6

KH
Yesterday - 6
Today - 6

I also ordered an API Nitrate Test Kit this morning.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan I tested again today, and ran each test twice because I was getting a few different results from yesterday.

Ammonia
Yesterday - 0.25
Today - between 0 & .25

Nitrite
Yesterday - 1.0
Today - between 0 & .25

PH
Yesterday - 7.5
Today - between 8 & 9 (I did top off about 1/2 inch yesterday that with my well water that runs through a calcium carbonate filter.

Phosphate
Yesterday - 0
Today - 0

GH
Yesterday - 7
Today - 6

KH
Yesterday - 6
Today - 6

I also ordered an API Nitrate Test Kit this morning.
-
As expected. This is the reason I requested that you retest.
Ponds are quite dynamic eco-systems both biologically and chemically. Things rarely remain the same from second to second.
Most water tests are performed only once. This only provides a snapshot of parameter levels at that particular time and at that particular location of the pond. Yes, location makes a difference also.

In order to arrive at a true assessment of the overall condition of a pond;s water, at least Three (3) tests should be done over Three (3) days at different times of day and from Three (3) different locations in the pond. This provides a much more accurate assessment.
If you test again tomorrow, you may very well again get different results on one or more or the parameters.
Unless you derive some radically different results if you test tomorrow, I would say that you have no water quality issues.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
In order to arrive at a true assessment of the overall condition of a pond;s water, at least Three (3) tests should be done over Three (3) days at different times of day and from Three (3) different locations in the pond. This provides a much more accurate assessment.
If you test again tomorrow, you may very well again get different results on one or more or the parameters.

Very good to know this. I never read this anywhere.

Unless you derive some radically different results if you test tomorrow, I would say that you have no water quality issues.

Thanks for all the help you have been.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Very good to know this. I never read this anywhere.

It is really quite logical. Oxygen for example.Dissolved oxygen level will vary depending on
-Water temperature
-The depth from which the water sample was taken. Oxygen levels drop as depth increases.
-Oxygen levels will be less on the outflow side of the biofilter than on the intake side.
-Oxygen levels will be higher in the evening than in the morning.
-Oxygen levels will be higher in the vicinity of submerged plants.

So there is no static level for Dissolved Oxygen as it is in a constant state of flux. All that can be determined are approximations of the minimum and maximum levels and a general average overall level.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
All right, guys. No Mas! No Mas!

It is gratifying to hear that my postings are helpful to members of this Forum. Sometimes it is quite difficult to present research-based information in a way that does not come across as "That Old Know-It-All'. In reality, I know very little, but I do have a talent for finding answers to questions that can be scientifically supported. Just think of me as a 'middle man'.
I know that it can be very irritating to have someone regularly correcting another's postings, especially little things..But it is so very important that a Pondkeeper have the correct information, particularly as concerns the little things, as we all know grow into larger things.
Anyway, I find this Forum particularly fulfilling and will continue to share until I am asked to stop..

Ask a Question