MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Either of those make filters would be OK.
I did not know that you added Fritz-zyme. Now, I am really puzzled. With your pond being 4 months old PLUS your having added the Fritz-zyme, you should be seeing a healthy growth of algae.
Remind me of why you did a water change. I trust you added Dechlor at the time.
For your fish load, you should not be seeing any significant Nitrate.
The reason I inquired about testing the Nitrate level is it can aid in determining what level of bioconversion you have. I am suspecting that you are not getting the expected amount. Algae will assimilate Ammonia but does not convert Nitrite, plus it also needs Nitrate and Phosphorus to grow. This could explain the trace amount of Ammonia and the elevated level of Nitrite.
Was this a fresh (from the manufacturer) bottle of Fritz-zyme that you used each time? And which one did you use 7, 9 or Turbo?

@Meyer Jordan I did the water change at the beginning of July...a 15-20% change. Right after that my water turned very green. I did not use Dechlor since my water is from my well. The Fritzyme was fresh from the manufacturer and I used the 7.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sorry for all of the questions. Just trying to get a complete picture of your pond's current biochemical status.
What are you using for testing?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What I meant to ask is do you have them on the bottom or up near the surface .Pond air systems do not work well in water over 2 feet deep and even then they are iffy

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sorry for all of the questions. Just trying to get a complete picture of your pond's current biochemical status.
What are you using for testing?

@Meyer Jordan Absolutely no problem with the questions. I respect and welcome your opinion/feedback as someone who has forgotten more about ponds then I'll ever know!

My test kits are API Pond Master Test Kit and API GH and KH Test Kit...all purchased within the past 5 months.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What I meant to ask is do you have them on the bottom or up near the surface .Pond air systems do not work well in water over 2 feet deep and even then they are iffy

They are 30" deep. I never heard of placing them above 2' deep. I would think...especially from everything I have read here on this forum...that you want them at the bottom...not only to aerate, but to help "turn over" the water. Your post is the first time I have ever heard they don't work well in water over 2'.

I would like to hear other opinions about this...if anyone has one.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes, air stones...Aquascape Pond Air 2 system.

81DzdGv2cLL._SX522_.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Pond aerators are available that will work at depths of 20 feet.

Would you terribly mind retesting the water. Not that I don't trust your first results, but I want to see if this is a relatively dynamic or static condition.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Pond aerators are available that will work at depths of 20 feet.

Would you terribly mind retesting the water. Not that I don't trust your first results, but I want to see if this is a relatively dynamic or static condition.

Not at all. Been up since 3am and getting tired. I will retest tomorrow morning and post my results. Be on the look out! And, thanks for taking a concern!

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
you just need more filtering of the water and the algae is a way of protecting your fish .Less food more filter.
This is the answer to the question.... But ill wait until your next test results :p
I have ever heard they don't work well in water over 2'.

I would like to hear other opinions about this...if anyone has one.

They use aerators sometimes in aquascapes that have a depth more than 4ft (big ol' planted tanks...) deep I have seen.
I also, have not heard that saying.

I don't see why an aerator would have an issue at any depth. The only matter is pressure. Eventually even in high pressure, air would be forced out of the diffuser. And pressure (unless we are talking, on the sea floor lol) on the diffuser, I don't think would be a problem. Maybe im missing something...?

Ask a Question