Water runoff issues

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum. I bought a house in Dec 2012 that has a poorly constructed stream and pond. It leaks real bad. The stream runs the length of backyard. The problem is that all of the yards run off goes right to the stream and pond. Watering the lawn floods the pond. I am going to rebuild it and need some help with the runoff issues. I was thinking of installing a french tile system to drain the water before it runs into the pond like the picture shows below:

house with proposed drain tile 2.jpg

The black lines are 1' contour lines. Will this work in your opinions?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would think if you could build all the sides up it would stop some of that .Because remember you could be responsible in some states that have laws that you can't allow others properties to flood .It looks like there is nothing behind you but maybe power lines .Not sure what your laws are on open ponds that are not fenced .Not just laws but what your home owners insurance might say .It may need to be fenced .Do you have any laws prohibiting fences

Reaction score
Actually the water would drain into a city stormwater drainage wetland which borders my yard, so no problem with draining it there. I've never dealt with a french drain and am not sure how much runoff it can handle.

Partially building up the sides may be a solution. However it would be a lot of fill. It's about a 3 to 4 foot drop from stream bottom to high point of yard. Plus because the stream is so close to neighbor, I don't know if they would want me to build it up so their yard can drain.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put drains in on some of my yard and they work but mine drain into a bunch of rocks and I have a tank under that to take roof runoff .The bed is 4 feet deep of rock from my property .I would have loved using bigger rocks to make it more rustic .Here we use sways dug into the ground also to take water away.Under those rocks is a big tank and the opening to the tank is inside the basket I pump water out to water my lawn and under the bridge is rocks to help to keep driveway from flooding

Attachments

• all around 2011 022.JPG
    all around 2011 022.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 234
  • house 2011 spring 029.JPG
    house 2011 spring 029.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 297
  • house 2011 spring 045.JPG
    house 2011 spring 045.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 242
  • driveway 008.JPG
    driveway 008.JPG