Water Softener as Filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello, I wanted to know if my old Water Softener can be used as a filter? The head is busted somewhere during the freeze, I will have to look into where the crack is. I threw it away but got to thinking if it could be used or if anyone has ever tried to use one for a pond filter?

Here is a few pictures of the setup I have, The first pic is mine from my house. Thanks for the help in advance.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3750]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3748]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3749]

Reaction score
Jason,

Here is an idea for you. In addition to my homemade DIY filter system (sediment separator + mechanical filter + bio-converter) I am also going to incorporate a pool filter. It is an Intex 2,650 gallon per hour sand filter with pump and prescreen filter. I am not going to use sand in it though, I am going to use zeolite that I bought from Bear River mine in Preston, Idaho.

I bought two of these filters, about $180 each. One I plan to use for my cabin water system and use BIRM media in it to remove the iron from my well water.
I will also use that reduced iron water to fill my pond.

I probably won't be using the pump which comes with the filter to operate it normally, that would be too much volume for my pond and filter system, but I will use the pump for backflushing purposes. The BIRM requires backflushing with just clean water. The zeolite requires a 20% salt brine soak and a backflush with clean water to rejuvenate it.

Here is a pix of the filter:

Attachments

• Intex 2,650 gph pool sand filter.jpg
    Intex 2,650 gph pool sand filter.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 320
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Cat fish, looked into this same Filter on Ebay a few months back for $200. I already have two filters 90% complete (Under DIY), But My water lines froze the other night because my softener busted at the head mount so instead of throwing it away, Im trying to see if I can salvage it for future projects. I don't want to spend a lot of money right now so Im scrapping the bottom of the barrel lol. What turned me off about the filter youve shown when I originally looked at it was it had a timer built in, where I would want it to run for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, Not 12 hours a day. But If you know a way to get by that then That is a really good deal, considering these go for over $400 in stores!

Reaction score
Jason,

This pool filter is really nothing more than a short, fat water softener (in plumbing design principles). So a water softener would make a great polishing filter! Using zeolite instead of the resin beads would be beneficial as zeolite has an affinity for absorbing ammonia and some other chemicals/compounds.

With some creative plumbing using PVC pipe, valves and fittings, you could fabricate (DIY) a new head for the softener tank with provisions for manual backflushing. Then just use your pond pump to direct the filtrate water from your main filter through the softener. The zeolite inside would remove all the ammonia and nitrites that your biological filter process misses.

you could even add other types of media to the zeolite for further refining and finishing or very slow, background pH and hardness control of the water.

This is the process that I am going to use the Intex pool filter for. The timer operates the 2,650 gph pump, so I will not set the timer and use my smaller pond pump to circulate the filtrate water through the pool filter. When it is time to backflush, I will switch the multidirectional valve and manually operate the 2,650 gph pump for the backflushing cycle.

Catfishnut

Ask a Question