Waterfall Sound Volume

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I do use a microphone and have hidden speakers! I can make it loud enough to drown out the neighbor's yapping dog. I've also made recordings that include frogs, birds, and a passing steam locomotive with whistle in the distance. I'm using speakers that are made to look like rocks, cast in fiberglass. With camo paints, it got the colors to match the rock I'm using, so they blend in. I have one next to my lower, 18" waterfall, the other is up near the top of my stream, where there's a small rapids. Although I'm only flowing about 1500gph, I can make it sound like 10X that if I wish! Mostly, I just double the volume, which with my poor hearing sounds just right.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Pardon my sick brain, but I was out at the waterfall thinking...

Should waterfall sound volume be classified in the "Dewey Decibal" system?

Do I hear groans over the waterfall?

Steve

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
dont know if the op is still alive thats 10 years old thread lol

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do use a microphone and have hidden speakers! I can make it loud enough to drown out the neighbor's yapping dog. I've also made recordings that include frogs, birds, and a passing steam locomotive with whistle in the distance. I'm using speakers that are made to look like rocks, cast in fiberglass. With camo paints, it got the colors to match the rock I'm using, so they blend in. I have one next to my lower, 18" waterfall, the other is up near the top of my stream, where there's a small rapids. Although I'm only flowing about 1500gph, I can make it sound like 10X that if I wish! Mostly, I just double the volume, which with my poor hearing sounds just right.
I know this post is years old but your speaker setup at your waterfall is exactly what I’m hoping to do and you’re the only post I’ve found with this idea. Any recommendations on microphone brands/specs. Thanks! I’m planning on building a pondless waterfall about 40’ from my bedroom window and I’d like to add speakers around my deck and bedroom to amplify the waterfall sound.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Grayson C - we haven't seen Stephen T here since 2019. I'd suggest you start a new post and see what kind of answers you get. Lots of smart helpful folks here with all kinds of experience!

Reaction score
Country
United States

Stephen,
I like the idea of a speaker and microphone set up. For me it would be to increase the natural sound. Could you give me the specs on what you purchased so I could better understand and possibly purchase?

with gratitude,
Tom

RNB

Reaction score
Country
United States
All,

I want to increase the volume of my waterfall sound due to road noise. What are the best ways to do so?

If I go the electronic route, what type of microphone Without picking up the road noise., Amp, speakers?

Does increasing pump size make a big difference?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
All,

I want to increase the volume of my waterfall sound due to road noise. What are the best ways to do so?

If I go the electronic route, what type of microphone Without picking up the road noise., Amp, speakers?

Does increasing pump size make a big difference?
@RNB Since this is an older thread, you might get better responses if you start out starting a new thread.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomepup3.gif
@RNB
Yep I agree make a thread post all your own :happy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Can you adjust the flow of water into your skimmer, I think the faster flow creates more noise?

Ask a Question