Waterline above ground.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As a safety measure (mainly for one of my big dogs, who is a bit of a cripple), I'm planning to raise the edge of my pond about twelve inches above ground. I intend to mortar in some stones, anchoring them with steel stakes within the foundational mortar. My concern is, will this adversely raise the water temperature to unhealthy levels during the summer? I live in a hot part of California. I'm also considering putting in sealed windows below the water line to watch the fish swim by (ambitious, I know). If anyone has done either of these things to their pond, please give me some advice. Thanks.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can answer about above-ground level, but can’t help with the window. We have a high water table and clay soil, so had a ton of problems with our carved-out-of-the-ground pond...sides collapsing, water hippos (water getting under the liner), you name it. So, we did a de-do and I had read about “collars” for pond edging. When I Googled it a little while ago, I actually found my old post from here, so here is the link to that. But you can do a general Google search as well.

I wanted the pond to be slightly elevated and with the structural component of the collar. Can’t find pics, but it was about 12” above grade. Was a little more work, but was very happy with the results. We used cinder blocks.

Hope this helps.

Ask a Question