Went to the pet store to by a goldfish and they sold me a koi..HELP!


Joined
Dec 14, 2009
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
San Diego
I have a 30 gallon tank for two common goldfish. One of my goldfish got sick and passed away a few months ago. My water quality is good and I waited 2 months to make sure my other fish stayed healthy before I got him a new mate. I went to the local fish store and got talked into a Shubunkin, which I found out when I got home and did my research is actually a koi. They had no idea what they were talking about. Now I know koi get very large, but how fast. I think I will need 7-10 months to build an outdoor pond, my koi is currently 3 inches. Will this be enough time? Also, is it okay to keep common goldfish and koi together? Do I need to get different food for my koi? Please give me any help or tips that you can.
 
Ad

Advertisements

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Joined
Dec 15, 2008
Messages
10,587
Reaction score
6,407
Location
Michigan zone 5b
shubunkins are a goldfish variety ..like sarassas, commons,and comets. but have been coined with the nickname "poor mans koi" check around the fishes mouth if you see barbels(Whiskers) its a koi.. no barbels its goldfish(shubunkin). they are all carp
 

rdk

Joined
Jul 30, 2009
Messages
328
Reaction score
6
Location
New Haven Ct
A shubunkin is a calico goldfish. It is a goldfish. Sometimes known as a " poor mans" goldfish. It get along very very well with other goldfish. I believe the size of your fish will depend on the size of your fish tank. The shubunkin is a wonderful fish to have I have one myself. RDK
 
Joined
Dec 14, 2009
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
San Diego
The pet store worker sold me a 'shubunkin' when I got home I saw whiskers, did my research and now I know I do not have a shubunkin, I actually have a orange and white grade A koi.
 

DrDave

Innovator
Moderator
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
6,843
Reaction score
106
Location
Fallbrook, Ca USA
Hi neighbor and welcome to the Forum. What you may have is a Kohaku. it will grow to 24 inches or more in about 5 years.
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
2,817
Reaction score
19
Location
North Carolina
can you take a photo so that we can be sure? If you see barbels (whiskers) tho, that's a pretty good sign. You should return him to the pet store and tell them they sold you something else.
 
Ad

Advertisements

DrDave

Innovator
Moderator
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
6,843
Reaction score
106
Location
Fallbrook, Ca USA
That is a fine looking Kohaku. That 30 gallon tank won't cut it very long. keep an eye on the water quality. If you need any tips on building your pond we have a lot of expertise on the forum. If you want to see mine up close and get some tips first hand, I can arrange a tour.

To post a photo directly on the forum, it has to be under a certain size. Where you manage attachments there is a chart showing the limits. I always re-size mine to 600 wide and they always upload with no problems.
 
Joined
Dec 14, 2009
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
San Diego
I will definitely need tips for building a pond. I see you are in Escondido, so am I. A tour would be fantastic. Someone suggested I return my koi to the pet store, I believe I can give him/her a better home. Any tips on food? Right now I am feeding him my goldfish food. I have read they need a well rounded diet.
 

DrDave

Innovator
Moderator
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
6,843
Reaction score
106
Location
Fallbrook, Ca USA
koichallenged said:
I will definitely need tips for building a pond. I see you are in Escondido, so am I. A tour would be fantastic. Someone suggested I return my koi to the pet store, I believe I can give him/her a better home. Any tips on food? Right now I am feeding him my goldfish food. I have read they need a well rounded diet.

I just sent you a PM. Call me after you read it.
 
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
49
Reaction score
0
Location
S. Ontario - Zone 5b
it is a myth that fish will only grow to the size of the tank they are kept in. Their growth will be stunted by the stressed caused by too small a tank, but you don't seem to be the kind to deliberately stress a pet for the sake of convenience. Have you considered a large rubbermaid tub to hold your soon-to-enlarge fish? they are cheap large & sturdy. They don't care if the sidewalls are glass or blue plastic. Actually, the opaque sides might even be less stressful to the fish. Keep it in the basement (but I'm not sure if basements are common in your locale), near the floor drain, just for insurance. Put in an air pump with an airstone, a cheap HOB (Hang On Back) filter, and change 20% of the water once a week. Don't forget to de-chlorinate! Do these few, relatively inexpensive steps and you should be just fine.
 

DrDave

Innovator
Moderator
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
6,843
Reaction score
106
Location
Fallbrook, Ca USA
Matak said:
it is a myth that fish will only grow to the size of the tank they are kept in. Their growth will be stunted by the stressed caused by too small a tank, but you don't seem to be the kind to deliberately stress a pet for the sake of convenience. Have you considered a large rubbermaid tub to hold your soon-to-enlarge fish? they are cheap large & sturdy. They don't care if the sidewalls are glass or blue plastic. Actually, the opaque sides might even be less stressful to the fish. Keep it in the basement (but I'm not sure if basements are common in your locale), near the floor drain, just for insurance. Put in an air pump with an airstone, a cheap HOB (Hang On Back) filter, and change 20% of the water once a week. Don't forget to de-chlorinate! Do these few, relatively inexpensive steps and you should be just fine.

It would be helpful if you addressed the member you are commenting to.;)
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
49
Reaction score
0
Location
S. Ontario - Zone 5b
Ooops. Corrected

rdk said:
... I believe the size of your fish will depend on the size of your fish tank... RDK
. A fishes growth will be stunted by the stress caused by too small a tank, but you (koichallenged) don't seem to be the kind to deliberately stress a pet for the sake of convenience.

koichallenged said:
I have a 30 gallon tank for two common goldfish. One of my goldfish got sick and passed away a few months ago. My water quality is good and I waited 2 months to make sure my other fish stayed healthy before I got him a new mate. I went to the local fish store and got talked into a Shubunkin, which I found out when I got home and did my research is actually a koi. They had no idea what they were talking about. Now I know koi get very large, but how fast. I think I will need 7-10 months to build an outdoor pond, my koi is currently 3 inches. Will this be enough time?...
Have you considered a large rubbermaid tub to hold your soon-to-enlarge fish? they are cheap large & sturdy. They don't care if the sidewalls are glass or blue plastic. Actually, the opaque sides might even be less stressful to the fish. Keep it in the basement (but I'm not sure if basements are common in your locale), near the floor drain, just for insurance. Put in an air pump with an airstone, a cheap HOB (Hang On Back) filter, and change 20% of the water once a week. Don't forget to de-chlorinate! Do these few, relatively inexpensive steps and you should be just fine.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top