Went fish buying at the Neatest place

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't like the colour of that ammonia test. Do you have a plan for dealing with that?
Didn't take a picture of it today...... But from what I saw it was at .50 ppm and the picture you saw was a week ago and even then when held up against a white background it showed a. 50 ppm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How long has your pond been cycling?
If you're reading ammonia now, nitrites will be next and that process could be hard on the fish.
You might want to consider a binder to get them through this.
Just to let you know Mitch I got my ammonia back down to almost zero.... Nitrates are actually coming up a bit..... No nitrite..... I know I made the same mistake lots of other folks have made too many fish too quick but I have the biological filters enough to handle these fish and probably more ... But my new mantra is "Patience.....Patience..... Yeah gotta keep saying that.... This "Newbie" will make it through this.....Sarah has started to add plants and I am sure that the local greenhouse that specializes in water plants are going to learn to love her..... Thanks for your help and everyone's else......Jimmy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Ok just an update...... I have seven Koi in 3000 gallons with lots of bio filtration..... As alot of you know I have been struggling with getting my pond to cycle.... And yes it was my own fault too many fish too quick..... I added Pond Prime one time when my ammonia went above 5.0, but none since then .... I used frequent water changes to maintain the ammonia..... But I am happy to say it's been 6 days since I have done a water change and my PH is still at 7.5.....ammonia is still at .25 ppm and holding there..... Nitrates are at 5.0 and holding and zero Nitrites..... I changed their diet I feed them cheerios for two days and on the third day give them a high protein food..... Unfortunately Sarah and I worked on our gardens for the last 5 days..... And no telling how many earthworms they digested.... But I want to send a special thanks to Meyer, Comet Keith, Tula, Addi, Sissy and especially MitchM that finally drove it home that I had a problem..... So I am on the road to a balanced pond I am not there yet but I feel like I am going in the right direction.... So I will say I am not going to add another fish..... Forever.... Or until I see another kool one..... Lol Jimmy

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Ok just an update...... I have seven Koi in 3000 gallons with lots of bio filtration..... As alot of you know I have been struggling with getting my pond to cycle.... And yes it was my own fault too many fish too quick..... I added Pond Prime one time when my ammonia went above 5.0, but none since then .... I used frequent water changes to maintain the ammonia..... But I am happy to say it's been 6 days since I have done a water change and my PH is still at 7.5.....ammonia is still at .25 ppm and holding there..... Nitrates are at 5.0 and holding and zero Nitrites..... I changed their diet I feed them cheerios for two days and on the third day give them a high protein food..... Unfortunately Sarah and I worked on our gardens for the last 5 days..... And no telling how many earthworms they digested.... But I want to send a special thanks to Meyer, Comet Keith, Tula, Addi, Sissy and especially MitchM that finally drove it home that I had a problem..... So I am on the road to a balanced pond and I am not going to add another fish..... Forever.... Or until I see another kool one..... Lol Jimmy
Damn...... I forgot Waterbug..... There is no telling how many of yours and Meyers post I have read..... Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
IMG_6157.JPG
IMG_6159.PNG

Just to let everyone know....... My ammonia is just a small tint of green on yellow...... Nitrite and Nitrates are within reason..... We have been adding plants..... Our parrots feather is going crazy..... The pieces that the Koi break off and end up in the skimmer, I take and put between the leaves of my lilies and they are growing..... So this afternoon I was bending over looking at the thousands of tadpoles I have.... Still haven't figured out how when they all turn into frogs what I am going to do.... But low and behold I have baby Koi everywhere..... I knew I had a spawn about a week ago..... Because Miss Piggy looked like she had scales missing everywhere.... And Donald and Hillary constantly harassing her..... Yes Hillary was misnamed, lol.... But I am happy water is clear, Koi are doing great, plants are growing.... Just goes to show you if you screw up and put too many fish at once not knowing what you are doing, if you read this forum and use the advice you can get by it..... Wouldn't recommend it to anyone else..... Had a heck of a water bill the last two months.... Lol Jimmy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
View attachment 99062 View attachment 99063

Just to let everyone know....... My ammonia is just a small tint of green on yellow...... Nitrite and Nitrates are within reason..... We have been adding plants..... Our parrots feather is going crazy..... The pieces that the Koi break off and end up in the skimmer, I take and put between the leaves of my lilies and they are growing..... So this afternoon I was bending over looking at the thousands of tadpoles I have.... Still haven't figured out how when they all turn into frogs what I am going to do.... But low and behold I have baby Koi everywhere..... I knew I had a spawn about a week ago..... Because Miss Piggy looked like she had scales missing everywhere.... And Donald and Hillary constantly harassing her..... Yes Hillary was misnamed, lol.... But I am happy water is clear, Koi are doing great, plants are growing.... Just goes to show you if you screw up and put too many fish at once not knowing what you are doing, if you read this forum and use the advice you can get by it..... Wouldn't recommend it to anyone else..... Had a heck of a water bill the last two months.... Lol Jimmy

Attachments

• IMG_6160.JPG
    IMG_6160.JPG
    304.9 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_6161.JPG
    IMG_6161.JPG
    305.2 KB · Views: 195
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
IMG_6268.JPG
Damn...... I forgot Waterbug..... There is no telling how many of yours and Meyers post I have read..... Thanks
View attachment 98130 View attachment 98131
Well on day two of four new fish being added..... The ammonia is up a bit.... As to be expected.....the Nitrite and the Nitrate is still the same..... I expect the nitrates to go up because the new fish has scoured all the string algae off the rocks at the base of my waterfall, the liner, and the walls of the pond..... Being raised in a greenhouse don't think they have ever tasted string algae before.... And they like it.... Then I can see how well my filtration is going to work..... As to be expected the new guys don't like the direct sunlight..... During the day they stay in the shadows.... They will get used to it.... Donald and Hillary swim the whole pond all day don't bother them..... And in case you are wondering we are not naming any other fish..... Donald and Hillary came to us by accident and were in a very bad situation ( On inauguration day)..... So they are our anchor fish and will be with us until we die or get too old to pond anymore..... Jimmy
Ok last update on this post.... Just goes to prove when somebody with a new pond that does everything the wrong way..... Puts in way too many big Koi in a pond that has not cycled and starts feeding them way to early, generally doing everything Wrong!!!!!! Going through more water changes than I care to count.... Three doses of Pond Prime..... And I have to buy another refill for my API Master test kit..... I am about out..... But I have gone almost two months with almost zero ammonia and normal nitrate and nitrites..... And yes I know my nitrates are low in this picture but that was due to a huge algae bloom after my UV light ballast crapped out..... Donald and Hillary are doing great..... All the Liberty High school fish are growing like crazy...... And I have over three dozen 1" plus babies..... Donald and Hillary are proud papa's.... Just goes to show you can overcome stupid, but wouldn't recommend it..... Thanks for all you guys help.... Jimmy

Ask a Question