Wetland Filter for 3/4 Acre Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone done a wetland filter for a larger pond like 1/2-3/4 acre in size? What do I need to change or adapt for an application that size? Is it even doable?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1652147420441.gif
and welcome @FireflyLane
Wow really that's big! Nope can't help ya there. I would just think lots of plants and maybe one of those big fountains I have seen in some ponds that big just for some flow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
View attachment 150519and welcome @FireflyLane
Wow really that's big! Nope can't help ya there. I would just think lots of plants and maybe one of those big fountains I have seen in some ponds that big just for some flow.
That one is nuts . Who has time to make these things lol. Ah I know someone who doesn't have a pond ... yup that's it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They definitely DO make them and they do work... same concept, bigger equipment, more plants!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
just spent a small fortune on plants 30 from local supplier 7 papyrus 13 taro 4 of the best looking cardinals i have ever seen. 4 creeping jenny and a large order from playitkoi
matrix blocks  mesh (1 of 1).jpg
matrix blocks  mesh (1 of 1)-2.jpg
matrix blocks  mesh (1 of 1).jpg
matrix blocks  mesh (1 of 1)-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Your county or the State University system extension office might have some information resources for you.
I'm in Pinellas County, Florida, and this past weekend, attended a County-sponsored seminar (U-FL participated) on improving wetland filtration of local stormwater runoff artificial ponds/ lakes that are usually HOA-owned and maintained, but eventually drain out through storm water pipes into creeks and off to where-ever. High level, they recommend eliminating turf grass at the lake edge and planting the up slope with a variety of shruby plants and planting native marginal and bog-type plants into the edges of the lake (e.g. reeds and rushes, pickerel weed). They didn't discuss changing the flow of water or adding aeration. Given it's FL and these ponds ultimately get to natural waterways, they don't want any non-native plants, or fish, added. (Or pythons, or other reptiles!)

Ask a Question