Adding a bog/wetland filter to an existing pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I know I've seen people asking about how to do this. This Team Aquascape video just showed up in my feed; sharing in case it is helpful!
watch

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wonder if they come to my state? Looks like a lot of work for just me to do. Also looks a bit different then some that have bogs here. They use a big giant black tube thing on the bottom and they clean theirs out each year. Think most here don't do that right? Bet it is spendy if they come and do all of this. Would be nice tho.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yes, they do it big and fancy! But the principles are basically the same. I am going to do mine like Addy1's -- a more DIY version without the fancy centipede and aqua blocks. I like seeing how they make the shape look more natural in the end. And you are right - those big cleanings are kind of a no-no.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
If I did it right, you should be able to click on the word "watch" it should take you there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If I did it right, you should be able to click on the word "watch" it should take you there.
yep, it's there. I tend to add space between my text and the text pointer for the vid. I had to go back and actually check your post as I too didn't see it at first!

smilie-sword-twirl-Christmas.gif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, they do it big and fancy! But the principles are basically the same. I am going to do mine like Addy1's -- a more DIY version without the fancy centipede and aqua blocks. I like seeing how they make the shape look more natural in the end. And you are right - those big cleanings are kind of a no-no.
The 'Aquablox' & 'Centipede' are fancy prices too, so I used 190 Litre 'storm crates' &150 mm 'French Drain' piping :) The whole thing is running like a dream already!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I researched my build there was no mention of aqua blocks, centipedes etc. Just pea gravel and pvc. Even now that is all I would do if building another.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trust me Addy1, the aqua blocks & centipedes work much better, as there's less or no risk of compaction due to heavy
sedimentation,
DSC_0107.JPG
, but there's no need to buy the 'Aquascape' versions, as you can use storm crates (see pic) & large diameter 'French Drain' piping, suitable reamed out so the slots are at least 6mm wide!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am sure they add to the bog.

So far I have had no issues with compaction, sediment, etc. The entire bog has water flow, only a few areas it slows down, too many surface plant roots. Every now and then I yank a bunch out.

I only draw the water from about a foot off the bottom of the pond, therefore keeping large debris out of the bog. Also have a leaf basket between the pond and the pump. External pump.

I like simple................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My 14 ft X 5 ft. bog is the simple manifold pipes covered with river stone. ( I couldn't get pea gravel at the time due to covid)

After settlement and fooling with the spillway, there's now an inch or so of water above the river stone. I can see water percolating on the surface all over the place, so I think I'm still getting a good transfer of water everywhere without any blockage after 2-1/2 years of running 24/7 and that's with a pond that is way overstocked.

That being said, I do think the centipede/aquablox is a great system. It gives you the option of pumping out any possible buildup. I think maybe it's better for larger applications. It is more costly, but if you have a huge pond, it may be the way to go.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Aquascape has designed a great system, but they emphasize the process, not the product. Their products make it easy to recreate what the pros would do, which I appreciate. You can buy anything you see them use and DIY it, which is what we did. But you can also study the process and go your own way. No rules, just ponds!

@j.w there are Certified Aquascape Contractors all over the country. But you are correct when you assume it wouldn't be cheap to hire them. Knowing the how's, I wouldn't hesitate to just get help with the labor and direct the project myself. We did some of that when we built our pond - hired out the digging and some of the big rock moving. The landscaper we hired was so excited to see the whole process that they stuck around and helped do the liner, centipede and aquablox just to see how it all went together. The head guy still pops in every now and then just to see how it's looking, 12 years later. (They also built our paver patio, so we knew they did great work.)

Ask a Question