What a strange winter this has turned out to be

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Humm, probably would not hurt to insulate the hoses, then if the power does go out the hoses won't freeze up before I notice the power outage. It may even keep the water a little warmer in the winter too. I might look for something to insulate them next time I am at the hardwear store.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They will be lucky to get 150 thousand and a house similar sold for 84 thousand except it had 1 acre more land .There is a nicer house on Chatmoss road for 59 thousand .I buy that insulated tubing stuff colleen .You just open the side up and slide the pipe inside and cut it to length .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
More of the same for us from Sunday onwards which isnt going to help the already sodden land we have cliffs collapsing hrough it in Dorset .
The Sumerset Levels have had their second once in one hundered year flooding with more rain on the way.
Quite gusty out during maintenance today and a sullen dark sky thankfully it didnt rain but from tomorrow onwards its battern down the hatches again
How everyone else is having a far better time of it than we are ?

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Windy here but the bitter cold with the winds does not help .Mud slides and wind not a good combo hang on Dave .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, hang on Dave, we had little landslides here too last year, hills were saturated with rain, then came the flood, then the mini flash flood last year too.

So far this year everything is pretty good, can't complain as it is above freezing right now and anything is better than the minus 40 below we had a month or so ago.

Thankful for the nice warm weather we have had lately, ice all gone off ponds, but now it is going to freeze and snow tomorrow and by Monday we will be back in the "deep freezer"!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, hang on Dave, we had little landslides here too last year, hills were saturated with rain, then came the flood, then the mini flash flood last year too.

So far this year everything is pretty good, can't complain as it is above freezing right now and anything is better than the minus 40 below we had a month or so ago.

Thankful for the nice warm weather we have had lately, ice all gone off ponds, but now it is going to freeze and snow tomorrow and by Monday we will be back in the "deep freezer"!
ha ha I'm not surprised you've not got all that effected you last year "weve got it instead", or so it seems .
Batterning down the hatches as we speak .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My next pond LOL I plan on lining with the big pink foam sheets for insulation (8' x 4' sheets). They come in 1" to 2" thick and I figured not only would they provide great insulation under the liner they would also keep the liner protected from puncture.

I was also thinking about how to insulate my filter pit and keep it warm so I can run the pond year round without issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Peacan our pond has two 22mm polystreene sheets wrapped around it, a lkayer of silve sided bubble wraap then the whole thing was wrapped in recycled plastic loft insulation as were our pipes everything was then covered in decking .
Our filter housing was also insulated with 22mm polystyreene sheeting glued to the decking surrounds.
Next we thought about the roofing to the filter housing so we split this between quad polycarbonate sheeting and double polycarbonate sheeting but ith a large "2 gap then covered the resulatant gap with plastc cut specially to size .
Thanx to this the top slides over the bottom sheet and the plastc cover can be removed , this in the summer allows for aireation and for both covers to be slid off over the tops of our four filters for maintenance.then slot back into place .
For the pond as you know already we have polycarbonate sheets as well .
Hope this helps in the design of your next one

Dave

Ask a Question