Strange growth below fish mouth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
86C7FEBB-40DF-4891-940C-0083D16B67F1.jpeg
Have just discovered a protruding white growth under one side of my comet’s jaw (under left mouth area on pic). From what I can see it simply looks like a solid long extension of the surrounding area. Looking at some pics from when I first got the fish three months ago, I can’t see anything on that side that would suggest it was there from the beginning. The fish appears to be stress free, swimming normally and is happily eating. All the other fish in the pond look fine and healthy and water tests are all good. Searching online for possible symptoms thought it might be fish pox, described as a white waxy looking growth. Any ideas what this could be would be much appreciated, thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nope, never been netted out of my pond. The pond is new, only three months old and I did have a 0.25 ppm reading of nitrite in the beginning losing three fish to sickness. But water tests have stabilised since and all fish seem happy and eating well.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
From the posted photo it also appears that at least the upper lip is cleft. These are likely physical abnormalities. With Goldfish these abnormalities are not really that uncommon and are genetically based. If the fish is acting otherwise normal in behavior and feeding, I would not place undo concern over this deformity.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From the posted photo it also appears that at least the upper lip is cleft. These are likely physical abnormalities. With Goldfish these abnormalities are not really that uncommon and are genetically based. If the fish is acting otherwise normal in behavior and feeding, I would not place undo concern over this deformity.
Thanks for your reply - if it’s a physical abnormally then that’s peace of mind, I was more concerned it potentially being some kind of contagious growth. It’s only really visible when the fish is pointing upwards for food, and yes the fish seems happy enough otherwise. Thanks again.

Ask a Question