What are these creatures?

Reaction score
I found hundreds of these little things darting around in my pond. They're about 0.5cm (0.20 in) from head to tail. Anybody have any idea what they are?

Attachments

• DSCF7230.JPG
    DSCF7230.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 351
  • DSCF7230_cr.jpg
    DSCF7230_cr.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 375

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
They definately look like mosquito larvae. If you don't have any gold fish, koi or some other small fish in your pond to eat the larvae, you need to get something in your pond that will eat them. Regardless of where you are, the mosquito larvae could help spread a desease or illness. Check in with your local authories and find out what you can do to combat mosquito larvae in your pond. Here in the U.S. some states will provide mosquito fish to help combat the problem of mosquitos for free.

Happy ponding,

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Mosquito fish means no koi fry. They are aggressive and will eat the eggs as fas as they are laid. I put 12 in a pond and in 1 1/2 years had over 1800.

Reaction score
I just googled images for dragonfly & mosquito larvae, and the bad news is they definitely look more like mosquito larvae....

I have an oscar and two algae eaters, plus two crabs that have made themselves at home in my pond. Will any of these eat the larvae? Otherwise, if I were to get some mosquito fish, would my oscar/crabs eat them, or vice versa?

Pity, it would have been nice to have some dragonflies growing up in my pond....

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Depending on the size of your oscar, I'm quite sure the oscar will eat the mosquito larvae. If the oscar is so big and combersome, it may not be interested in chasing something so small to eat. Yes, your oscar will eat the mosquito fish, it will consider them as food unless they are quick and small enough to stay out of his gun sights.

Reaction score
I agree with oldmarine--an oscar will certainly eat a fish that small. Plus, oscars are bullies and hard to pair with any other fish outside it's species. Even if you got a goldfish that was big enough to compete, I'm afraid your gentle goldfish might get harrassed by tough guy Oscar.

They sell a product here in the States called Mosquito Dunks. Not sure what they might call them in your neck of the woods, but they pretty much float in water and are designed to kill mosquito eggs without harming other fish and plants.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
mosquitoes around hear only like stagnant water to lay eggs
A few more fish would solve your problem

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
If the mosquito larvae are a endless food for something, find way to capitalize on that and use that source for what it's worth. Like koiguy and DrCase suggested, either net them out and feed them to something else, or introduce some fish to your pond that will keep up with the source of mosquito larvae.

Happy ponding,
Rich :coffeemug:

Ask a Question