What are your holiday plans and/or traditions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I guess some might think I want to know when everyone will be gone from their homes, but I was just wondering what everyone is planning for the Thanksgiving holiday!

My oldest brother, who is not married and lives about an hour north of me (closest of all of my siblings) is taking the Amtrak train down tomorrow evening and staying until Saturday. Hoping my son will get Fri off of work, if not he will drop by on Thursday early evening to visit. Planning to put outside Christmas decorations up while my brother is here, and bake frosted and decorated Christmas cookies, so he and my son can take them home with them. Also planning to put the Christmas tree up and decorate inside my house. I love the holidays and decorating, even if it's just me that sees it. :) I live on a road that I only share with 2 other people, and the person past me doesn't stay there much anymore, so it's mainly for me. But, I get great joy out of coming home to my 3 lighted deer (Buck, Doe and fawn) and lights on my house. Have them all on a timer, so they are on when I get home from work.

What are some of your holiday plans and traditions? Would love to hear about them. :)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
We will have a house full here for Turkey day.....Christmas ...dont know yet we usually discuss that on Thanksgiving. that means i will be up and down the basement stairs all day with the kids....there will be 20 or 30 here and they all love seeing the fish !!!.. andf you all know, you.cant let down there unattended!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Of course they will all want to see your fish ... and I have a good idea you thoroughly enjoy showing the kids, and I'll just bet there are some adults that will want to see the koi, too! Sounds like a fun day, with all those people! I've always loved having a house full of people, so going to be very quiet for me this year.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yeah its fun...until the house is empty and its time to clean up......you dont really notice the damage till everybodys gone!!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
We were suppose to just have My son and his family and one the middle daughter for Thanksgiving and then were going to go up next weekend for the grandbabies (Youngest daughter) first birthday. Got a surprise call this evening and the they decided to have the birthday down here this weekend. The step son called tonight and he's coming in from deer camp to spend Thanksgiving with everyone then going back Friday. The Oldest is trying to come in from Dallas but not looking good as her husband has to be back on a job for Friday. So looks like we will have 4 of the five kids and 5 of the seven grandkids down for the rest of the week. Should be eventful to say the least!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Going to honey's son for thanksgiving day, they are cooking! Other than that no big plans.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
We always meet at my grandparents house. It only about 20 minutes away from my place, so not too much traveling.

This year (i have no clue why) it was decided that I am going shopping on black friday, for the first time ever. So when we leave my grandparents house, my parents are taking my daughter with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Woohoo for the Black Friday shopping! When I was a stay at home Mom, I never went. Then I worked a job where I always had to work that Friday, so had to go early, but there were maybe 2 stores that opened before 8 back then, and everyone was packed at the door of those. Then, when I switched jobs to this job 16 years ago, I went several times, and realized it was not really any big deal to go early, unless you wanted something that they only had a few of. Was not into the "rat race". Found if their sales ended at 10, I went at 9 and got all the same deals minus the fuss. Good luck!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have never done black friday, never will do black friday, can't stand crowds, I would last maybe a minute lol.

Reaction score
I guess some might think I want to know when everyone will be gone from their homes, but I was just wondering what everyone is planning for the Thanksgiving holiday!

My oldest brother, who is not married and lives about an hour north of me (closest of all of my siblings) is taking the Amtrak train down tomorrow evening and staying until Saturday. Hoping my son will get Fri off of work, if not he will drop by on Thursday early evening to visit. Planning to put outside Christmas decorations up while my brother is here, and bake frosted and decorated Christmas cookies, so he and my son can take them home with them. Also planning to put the Christmas tree up and decorate inside my house. I love the holidays and decorating, even if it's just me that sees it. :) I live on a road that I only share with 2 other people, and the person past me doesn't stay there much anymore, so it's mainly for me. But, I get great joy out of coming home to my 3 lighted deer (Buck, Doe and fawn) and lights on my house. Have them all on a timer, so they are on when I get home from work.

What are some of your holiday plans and traditions? Would love to hear about them. :)

Country,

Well, I might be kind of a "bah-humbug" sort of guy when it comes to holidays, especially around Thanksgiving. I contracted a strain of viral pneumonia (similar to what killed Jim Henson). For twelve years I succombed to 104-106 fever every Thanksgiving (+/-) like clockwork. This virus remains in your bone marrow and you never dispell it. If my immune system gets comprimised, I could succomb to it again. I became so fed up with dealing with the doctors and the antibiotics and treatment that I finally quit treating it one year and just figured that if I died, I wouldn't have to worry about it any longer. When I stopped seeing the doctor for it, I started getting better, year after year. I haven't experienced it now for 13-14 years! Yahoo! But, I still think I have to be cautious, because it can be deadly. I just developed an improved immune system to this virus by avoiding antibiotics and living my life in a specific way.

So, I kind of developed my own personal tradition (because of the virus) to simply stay at home, relax, watch TV and stay warm and catch up on sleep. I have worked nights since 1984 - so sometimes that can interfere with my sleep schedule and can mess up my immune system if I am out and overdoing things. It's not very social on the surface, but I usually end up chatting with more people in my family during the time, over the phone, then I would if I were to go visiting or invite anyone to my home. We have a fairly large family, spread out all over the country, so it is hard to get together with everyone else if I were to pick one avenue or itenerary.

It is also part of my weird tradition to watch one specific movie.... "It's A Wonderful Life", while eating pizza and drinking beer... HOTDOG! (you will know what that means if you are really into that movie).

"Remember, no man is a failure who has friends"

:)

Gordy

Oh, Country, if you ever happen to drop by while I am away from home, would you please be sure to feed my pet "Sissy" while you are here? I usually leave her at home when I go away. Sissy is a reptile, so she can get along for a spell without me feeding her, but when I return or someone comes into the house, she expects to be fed. She likes whole. live turkeys and small goats or lambs best, but a calf will do. Oh, she is a Monitor Lizard, so be careful, don't let her nip you! You know the saliva of a Monitor is toxic (with bacteria and that yucky junk). Please be careful around my neighborhood. I don't know how long this has been going on, but there are some really strange happenings here. We get unexplained missing persons reports all the time! My neighbor was supposed to come over and work on my basement wall last month, I forgot that I had to work so I missed him that day, no one has seen him since then. We don't don't know what happened to him, he didn't write us or anything. Go figure!

"Snicker" ;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just staying home this year for Thanksgiving w/ myself, hubby and my dreaded kidney stones! Hopefully things will be better by Christmas and the kids will come over as usual. Right now don't feel like doing much but sitting around waiting. This too shall pass, lol! We are going to cook a small turkey w/ some of the trimmings tho. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Tday21.gif

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Have never done black friday, never will do black friday, can't stand crowds, I would last maybe a minute lol.

Same here... Fiance is worried that Im going to spaz out on somebody. I can't stand walmart on a normal day, and have no problems speaking my mind when somebody is deliberately cutting me off, or 3 people are blocking an entire isle while chatting to eachother, or whatever other disrespectful thing they may be doing.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I went to the grocery store, we were low on food, being gone, never thought about thanksgiving being this week, I walked out and told hubby we will buy food later..............lol

Darn jw, get better.......those suckers do hurt.

Reaction score
Same here... Fiance is worried that Im going to spaz out on somebody. I can't stand walmart on a normal day, and have no problems speaking my mind when somebody is deliberately cutting me off, or 3 people are blocking an entire isle while chatting to eachother, or whatever other disrespectful thing they may be doing.

HAh! You must drive all the way from Iowa to shop at the same Walmart that I do!

Gordy

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have to work in the morning then go to my aunts for Thanksgiving. Will have to get home early as I have to be back at work at 3am for all those black friday shoppers, yes I work in retail.

Ask a Question