What are your thoughts on global warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
... Antarctic ice is at it's thickest in 28 years.

Antarctic may be at it's thickest, but overall there is less ice.
There have been spikes in the planet's temperature in the past and it is believed to be from large releases of methane or CO2. Our planet has perfect conditions for the growth and decay of organic matter so that makes sense to me.
I'm not convinced that we can do much to change or control our planet's climate, so I think that the current focus on carbon is misguided. I am all in favour of reducing overall pollution, so I am on the bandwagon for cleaning up our industries.

I posted this last year in another thread but this thread seems to be more popular so I'll include it again here:

CxlmgydUoAAeYIZ.jpg

Reaction score
To complain about it while you drive a car, use AC, electricity, plastic in any form, eat beef, use any synthetic products or spray for roaches seems just a tad hypocritical.

Fossil fuel will not be replaced in our lifetime and if you are using it you have no room to complain.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Here's an interesting video from NASA. It's a computer model of CO2 concentration over the course of 1 year.
2 things stand out for me:
-The lack of land mass in the southern hemisphere
-The fact that the atmosphere is separated into northern and southern sections by the intertropical convergence zone. (global wind patterns)
Is it any wonder why the north pole has less ice than the south pole?
Think of all the above ground biological activity that takes place in the northern hemisphere, compared to the southern hemisphere.
CO2 is really trapped in the northern hemisphere as a result.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here's an interesting video from NASA. It's a computer model of CO2 concentration over the course of 1 year.
2 things stand out for me:
-The lack of land mass in the southern hemisphere
-The fact that the atmosphere is separated into northern and southern sections by the intertropical convergence zone. (global wind patterns)
Is it any wonder why the north pole has less ice than the south pole?
Think of all the above ground biological activity that takes place in the northern hemisphere, compared to the southern hemisphere.
CO2 is really trapped in the northern hemisphere as a result.

The term Global Warming refers to the average global temperature. It does not mean that every part of the planet is warming or even warming at the same rate.
Climate-
"the composite or generally prevailing weather conditions of a region, as temperature, air pressure, humidity, precipitation, sunshine, cloudiness, and winds, throughout the year, averaged over a series of years."
Highlights are mine.

So the fact that Antarctica is overall gaining ice has no real bearing on whether or not Global Warming is occurring.
It is certainly occurring in the Southeastern U.S.. In the past 30 years my location has gone from Horticultural zone 8a to 9a which is a 10 degree Fahrenheit increase. Miami is experiencing regular street flooding due to rising sea levels. Insect species that have been indigenous to strictly tropical climates are now being seen as far north as North Carolina.

As to human influence, increasing levels of CO2, Methane and other pollutants into the atmosphere due to human activity is going to affect something. None or these gases are inert. Start pumping additional quantities of any of these gases into your pond and see what happens.

Reaction score
Thirty five of the facts presented in "An Inconvenient Truth" are in fact lies. Why are people lying about this?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I don't pay any attention to Al Gore. He has conflicting interests.
I try to stay on top of current data and analysis.

Picking and choosing phrases from that movie isn't constructive.

Reaction score
The one truth that is hard to deny is that humans are releasing CO2 into the atmosphere at an unprecedented rate for "human history". Of course on an "Earth history" scale "human history" amounts to less than a fart in the wind. Even if it were possible for all humans on Earth to band together for a single cause and we were able to reverse, or eliminate, our green house gasses there would be another global disaster looming right around the corner. It's simply a mate of time. Ask the dinosaurs, they enjoyed a good run and were around longer then humans have been, but all good things come to and end. Fossil records indicate that several massive extinction events have already happened on Earth and there is no reason to believe one won't happen again. Global warming, climate change, whatever you want to call it won't wipe humans off the Earth, but it will likely change things a bit. But from my point of view things need to change, I'm not seeing a lot of redeemable qualities in the human race right now. If aliens from another planet ever did come to our planet I would be embarrassed by what they would observe. For the most part we are a bunch of greedy blood thirsty animals, raping the Earth of it's virginity while the stronger and the more privileged or fortunate of our species has always dominated the weaker less fortunate to their injury. Always have, always will. Sure we've become pretty clever at math and engineering, but even that we've often only used to harm each other in even more alarming ways.
Yes the climate will likely change for one reason or another, but it won't wipe us out, and will likely be the least of our worries in the years to come. Should we try and do something about it? Sure, why not. But whatever we do we will probably be as effective at it as we have been at preventing wars, poverty and crime, and we've been working on those for quite a while now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
The Globe has warmed +0.30 deg. C, I'm not getting excited.
UAH_LT_1979_thru_January_2017_v6.jpg

Remember California thought the Drought was caused by climate change and was permanent.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ta

Take your pick, the link I provided earlier has several other links.

https://scottthong.wordpress.com/20...or-intentional-lies-in-an-inconvenient-truth/

Originally posted in Oct. 2007, this article is now almost 10 years old and many of this author's rebuttals have been proven to be in error during this time span. Too numerous to go into here, but for anyone who wants to perform unbiased research, the facts are out there.
Bottom line, whatever the cause(s), global warming/climate change is taking place.
But, human nature being what it is, people will believe what they choose to believe, not what the overwhelming body of scientific facts indicate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Another thing I found interesting about that NASA video is how much of the heavy lifting of CO2 absorption was being done by the boreal forests in Canada and Russia.
The tropical rainforests in Brazil seem to get much more attention, but their effect on CO2 levels seems pretty localized.
We need to pay more attention to the northern forests.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The Globe has warmed +0.30 deg. C, I'm not getting excited.View attachment 97458
Remember California thought the Drought was caused by climate change and was permanent.

That chart is often peddled by crooked denial folk, it says 'global' on it, however it refers to the lower 48 states only. It is the 'average' for the USA

It does show a continent that had significant cooling events from the pacific and polar vortex events in the last decade

It does not show the planets overall trends at all

Like, the arctic has warmed over 4c in the same timescale

Additionally it is a scan of a part of the atmosphere above the level at which global warming occurs... Global warming happens at a lower level of atmosphere, closer to the surface

Very crooked, denial folk....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question