What Color is your Pond Algae?

Reaction score
I was just thinking about pond algae this morning as I was doing a 20% water change this afternoon.

Since i have white strapping as my bio media, I noticed that lovely light brown color algae on it that is the tell-tale sign of a nice bio-film where my bacteria are clearly happily colonizing.

On my pond walls, I've got a darker brown algae (with some green spots here and there), which is typical of algae on a new pond. Algae comes in lots of colors: green, blue, red, brown, black, etc. And as a pond matures, algae changes colors.

I was wondering what color/texture is the algae on your pond walls and media?

Reaction score
First thing that comes to my mind, I'm not totally positive, but I think The Propylene, the P in EPDM is silicate based. Silicate is the main food source for Diatoms. Diatoms those little water critters that are also called "brown algae" are always present, but there population explodes like green water algae does when there is excess nutrients. That would mean in a new pond, with all new plumbing, strapping media, tons of plastic parts and the liner all silicate based, the initial few months silicates will leach out until all surfaces "cure". Pretty harmless, just a ton of food to make the diatoms noticable. Most diatoms are usually thought of as just ocean critters, but they are in fresh water as well. New aquariums usually always go through this break in period. Then it usually slowly goes away or is so slight it isn't that noticeable

Reaction score
yes, the brown algea are diatoms, correct. Usually what you get in a new pond. Then it starts to morph if things are working properly. I can already see the green spots starting to show up, which is the next stage. So I'm on my way to the good stuff.

The stuff on my strapping media right now is different. Not brown, but a hazy tan, which is a sure sign of bio-film.

Reaction score
you know you guys are just too smart. I love reading all of this knowledge and opionions.
But, my algea is a dark green looking color. A few brown spots here and there.

Reaction score
That's perfect. You want that nice deep green. Makes good gnoshing for the fish and means the bacteria are joyous. Can't wait to get where you are at!

Reaction score
This sounds weird, but I'm envious of all you for your excellent algae growth. I still have piles of dirt, a large hole and a disaster area for a yard. If someone reads this that doesn't know about ponds they would try to have us institutionalized!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here's the color green I like.

Attachments

• Img_1768.jpg
    Img_1768.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 412
  • Img_1810.jpg
    Img_1810.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 456
Reaction score
That is beautiful water, DoDad! Gin clear. Is that your small pond or you biggun'? Looks like the smaller one--and I say that tongue-in-cheek since the darn thing is nearly 5000g's. LOL!

I will need to be getting myself one of them shade sails too, I think. Yep, that's the green I'm aiming for. I can already see peeks of it on the walls and floor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I tried the triangle tan shade sail but the reflection made my water look muddy and with being a triangle I would need a few more post and sails.
I sold it and bought a square green one and I'm very happy with it,
koikeepr said:
That is beautiful water, DoDad! Gin clear. Is that your small pond or you biggun'? Looks like the smaller one--and I say that tongue-in-cheek since the darn thing is nearly 5000g's. LOL!

I will need to be getting myself one of them shade sails too, I think. Yep, that's the green I'm aiming for. I can already see peeks of it on the walls and floor.

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Little late to the party, but I just did a 30-40% water change last night. The algae on the sides are bright green and in the middle of the pond it's dark green.

Ask a Question