color of pond landscape lights

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hello, was wondering about choosing the new bright white LED color or stay with the LED soft white [yellowish], which was standard color for indoor light bulbs. I want to have pond edge lights as well as waterfall and fountain lights.

Any feedback with your guys/gals experience would be great.

Thks
Wayne

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just put led rope lights in my pond (bright white). After a week, they look yellow because of the algae growth (they are on the pond bottom). I am going to get some pool noodles and slice them and run the lights thru so they float. I also have the solar spot lights in white led.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Bright white is better because the yellowish ones make the pond look pukey .The blue tint ones are pretty also

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
I have bright White under my fountains. Not the rope type but they give the water a cool effect. One thing you have to hide the fixture and angle the light otherwise the light is harsh and intence and spoils the beauty. As Sissy stated Blue is also a cool color. It mimics moon light and dilutes the effects of the brights so it's not as harsh. I've got Halogen fixtures with Blue lenses in our stream. The Blue tint adds to the traqulity.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Halogen lights give off a lot of heat and also cost more to run .I even change my halogens in the kitchen for LED'S .With the LED'S also you can buy blue plastic wrap and cover the white lights .I got some bulbs at sams club 18.88 for 3 of them

Then got some from superbrightled.com

FountainMan

Reaction score
Halogen lights give off a lot of heat and also cost more to run .I even change my halogens in the kitchen for LED'S .With the LED'S also you can buy blue plastic wrap and cover the white lights .I got some bulbs at sams club 18.88 for 3 of them

Then got some from superbrightled.com
My halogens burnt out long ago. I'm planning on replacing them with 12 volt LED fixtures. Unfortunatly those fixtures go for around 20-30. Maybe cheaper to find an LEd kit.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't use in pond lights most leak and just give you a cloudy view of the fish i use only down lights and all you need for them is a simple light holder about 8 dollars most places and those LED'S from sams club are rated for outdoor use .The outside light holder has a rubber gasket to keep water from getting in ,but the ones I have in my pond by the water fall I just added a plastic zip lock bag and taped it on tight .The light holder is just tucked in the rocks and then just plugged into a dusk to dawn outlet box .

FountainMan

Reaction score
I don't use in pond lights most leak and just give you a cloudy view of the fish i use only down lights and all you need for them is a simple light holder about 8 dollars most places and those LED'S from sams club are rated for outdoor use .The outside light holder has a rubber gasket to keep water from getting in ,but the ones I have in my pond by the water fall I just added a plastic zip lock bag and taped it on tight .The light holder is just tucked in the rocks and then just plugged into a dusk to dawn outlet box .
Never experienced leaks on mine. However One thing I have found is if the bezel is improperly secured this may cause them to leak. You have to press down firmly and twist to lock them properly.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
WEll bought my first pond light. A solar powered one for my little Easter island. Not sure I like the bright white look, colors look dull and whitewashed.. My last pond had the 20w halogens and they were yellowish. Seems I didn't like that yellow either lol. Mayne the cool white with blue tint is better?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have tinted plastic wrap in stores and you can wrap them with it .

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
How much tint? The light color Has to be white with just a small blue hue.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are very light tinted .I use the plastic wrap for easter and when you double it up it is darker and comes in blue pink yellow and lavender

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
more than likely I know walmart and several grocery stores around here sell it .I do my outside lights with lavender at easter time .I even just saw yesterday when i went out they have those sandwich bags in colors for kids lunches in the back to school section .Had to get my sons ice cream cake and they had them by the register and they were a rainbow of colors .

Ask a Question