What does quarrantining accomplish?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: You two are awesome. I love it.

Yeah, if ya think the problem might be floating in your existing pond water, then I would not use existing pond water for the QT, but adjust the chemistry so that the pH and other variables match your existing pond water so the fish will not experience too much pond transplant shock. Normally, I use existing pond water, but don't use it if ya think ya may transplant something bad into the QT. If this is the case, then ya might have to do a full pond treatment.

I would seriously think about getting a second or third opinion from a serious microscopic fish professional about your existing water and dieing fish. I would have to travel a few hundred miles to find an official koi club, but you might not have to travel as far to find one of these clubs. I am told they are a huge asset so become a member to one if available.

If you are making an above ground QT, then build it so the fish will not jump out. I am told Koi will attempt to escape their new environment so ya can put a leaf net over or I am told some companion fish can help calm them down. Actually, I have read that companion fish in a QT can help a fish get healthy again.

Also, check out ... Have a question regarding when I can start adding fishies :)

Reaction score
My QT is a glass aquarium in the basement. Seems like a real chore to do another pond and keep it healthy outside, and since I don't have any fish over 5" that should be fine.

As far as what to do, I don't think I'm going to do anything except wait it out. I'm kind of hoping that when this is all over, the fish I have left should be rock solid, the strongest of the strong. This might be a positive thing, even though it sucks really hard right now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put some new subbies in my deck pond, mainly like jw is saying to feed them more and get some size on them before putting into the big pond. The water from the big pond circulates though the deck pond. So I didn't keep QT'd at all. But again no koi, I think from what I read koi are touchier and new ones can carry some bad stuff.

Those that grow koi for show or are real dedicated, QT theirs for over a year, well some do, from what I read on a different forum

Reaction score
Wow. I think I'm going to shoot for at least 30 days, one year is a bit much, not to mention they'll outgrow my aquarium in that mount of time.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Bucky, I would recommend going with something bigger than a fish tank. Your koi are going to grow and the problem will resurface over time that you will need to get a fish out and treat it as well as you will want to add another fish later on. that's all just the nature of the hobby. If all goes well your going to have a spawning at some time. again this QT pond/tank can be used to raise the babies. You want something that can handle any size fish that's in your pond. So I would say look into at least 150-300 gallons. make a cheap DYI filter and keep it going year round. A preform pond will also work, along with rubbermaid stock stanks. Any fish being moved has the potential to cause a outbreak. could be parasite, bacterial, or fungal. When a fish is stressed it can and will happen. Koi, goldfish, catfish, It doesn't matter. ALL fish carry parasites, bacterial infections, and fungal infections. Just as humans carry them too. The key is getting the fish settled down, observing them and allowing them to adjust to about the same water conditions as they are going to live in helps reduce this factor. If one gets sick it's so much easier to treat a smaller container than a larger pond. It's also a lot easier to catch a fish in a smaller tank.
Most serious pond keepers that do use the QT tank recommend to QT for about 3-5 weeks. If you'll read on almost every Online Fish plave they always say they have been in QT a minimum of 3 weeks. That's because most parasites will run a life cycle in about 3 weeks so if a outbreak was going to happen they will have usually been able to see it during that time.

Reaction score
Ok, so a parasite will die off, and as long as the fish doesn't die you're good? The water in the QT tank won't allow the parasite to persist indefinitely? I think you just hit on my main confusion.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think Larkin was saying that it will show up in 3 wks and if you have parasites they will live on the fish and you will have to treat it then. Better to find out you have them on your fish in a QT then in your big pond so you can treat a smaller amt of water and watch the fish closely.

Reaction score
Ahh, ok well that makes sense as well. So I buy fish, I put fish in tank, wait 3 weeks. If they start dying, treat them. Once they are healthy, wait 3 more weeks probably, then put in main pond. If no deaths after 3 weeks, wait another week just to make sure, then add. Ok, I can wrap my head around that process. Cool, thanks everyone!

Reaction score
New fish showed up. All look good. The shubunkins are beautiful. The standard fins are all fine, got a boring white one, but the others are decent, plus one with faint black spots and a pure red head. The butterlies are about the same got 1 boring white one, 3 so so reds, but got this amazing yellow with 2 rows of black spots down his back. Love him.

I turned the light on really briefly to see about getting some shots of them in the aquarium but almost every one of them shot into the fake log cave I have in there. The last shot is of 9 3" fish all crammed into an 8" log. Chicken shits. Turned the lights back off, will leave them alone the rest of the day.

Attachments

• CIMG1502.JPG
    CIMG1502.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 202
  • CIMG1505.JPG
    CIMG1505.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 203
  • CIMG1509.JPG
    CIMG1509.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 230

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like the white fish. Like how they show up so well in a pond and they just look so graceful and elegant like a bride in her wedding dress!
Your fish look nice to me Buck and I imagine w/ them being koi they will change some as they grow.

Reaction score
I agree, white fish are fine, I wouldn't want to not have any, but this is probably my 6th and 7th one. That seems like a bit much. Not worried about it though, should be fine.

Reaction score
Wow, never seen stressed fish before. It's kind of scary, I feel like they are going to drop dead from fright any minute now. I totally get why my first koi spent 2 full weeks hiding in a flap of my liner.

Poor little guys. Just retested the water though, everything is healthy, so I'm just going to give them overnight in darkness and hope that calms them down a lot.

Reaction score
Buckry, I would keep the fish in QT for at least 5 weeks. The first thing you want in your QT tank before adding the fish is to get the PH, KH, GH, Temp and all that good stuff as close to your pond as possible. Here is a link if you scroll down alittle ways gives some pretty good explanations for each day and pratical setup. http://www.pondexperts.ca/quarantine_procedure_new_koi.htm
It does not matter if you have koi or goldfish. This is a pretty standard setup for a QT tank. You can go to tractor supply or a feed store any buy a 100 gallon rubbermaid feed trough for this purpose. Here is what you are looking for. http://www.tractorsupply.com/rubbermaid-reg-structural-foam-stock-tanks-100-gal-capacity-2229901
These work great and I have even raised fish in these for over a year with no problems. Remember that a QT tank serves multiple purposes. You can use it as preventive maitenance before adding fish to your pond, a hospital tank for sick or injured fish, or to raise fry or young fish in a safe place if you are breeding them. Hope this helps.

Ask a Question