What Food & at what Temp

Reaction score
It seems like the different manufactures of food give different guidelines as when to switch to the Spring & Fall food, and when to stop feeding.

Right now I am using Tetra Pond Koi Vibrance, it says use this above 50°F, then use Spring & Fall Diet when temps are below 50°F and above 39°F, and to stop feeding when temps are below 39°F. Other companies give different instructions on their food.

So I was wondering when everyone switches over, when do you stop feeding all together, and do you prefer one brand over another,

Thanks,
Dave

Reaction score
I only feed here in Indiana when the water temp is in the low 50's and higher. Most of the time that means I feed from March through the first of November. Last year my water stayed warmer until Thanksgiving. But the fish slowed down on their eating and then one day they went deep until March.
I am sure the experts will be along soon. But since Koi do not have stomachs and digest through their intestines, you have to be careful that the food does not rot in their intestines and kill them when their system slows down.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
RSFish1 said:
I only feed here in Indiana when the water temp is in the low 50's and higher. Most of the time that means I feed from March through the first of November. Last year my water stayed warmer until Thanksgiving. But the fish slowed down on their eating and then one day they went deep until March.
I am sure the experts will be along soon. But since Koi do not have stomachs and digest through their intestines, you have to be careful that the food does not rot in their intestines and kill them when their system slows down.

I have been told that also, when it gets cold they quit digesting their food.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I switch to cold weather food when the water gets down to 65 deg
And feed less as it drops down into the 50s

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You might share your source for "cold weather food". Here in So Cal, we just have one kind of food available, year round.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
I haven't had a pond through the winter yet, but I plan to cut out protein from their diet below 60F. protein is what can rot more readily. I hope, at 6' deep, my lower level water doesn't get much below 50F. We'll see.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hewhoisatpeace said:
I haven't had a pond through the winter yet, but I plan to cut out protein from their diet below 60F. protein is what can rot more readily. I hope, at 6' deep, my lower level water doesn't get much below 50F. We'll see.

We both are going to be newbies for winter ponds, no clue what mine will do. Should have circulation (between bog and pond) this week. Probably will freeze over, without fish I am not going to worry too much for this winter. The pond is still pretty naked, it will have a few plants in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In the cold months when the water is below 65 and above 55 I feed Hai Feng Quick Grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It was interesting, thanks fore posting it. I have a friend in the UK, she feeds all winter. She always thought it was strange that I didn't feed mine. Once my fish are in hibernation mode, They don't even come out to see me, let alone come out to eat.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have been getting my food from pondliner.com
I get the legacy ,cold weather food, and a few other kinds for a spring mix
My Warm weather food choice is Legacy growth and energy food..they ate almost 30 lbs
since it warmed up this year..
My water is around 78 deg

Ask a Question