What happened to brokenswords pond showcase?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If we tag them enough it is sure to come up In their email! ( Jk we don’t need to blow them up with messages, but I do hope they come back! )
Hey @TheFishGuy , I tried to pm you but your account must be set to not receive pm's. Can you change that or are you not wanting to receive pm's?

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Hey @TheFishGuy , I tried to pm you but your account must be set to not receive pm's. Can you change that or are you not wanting to receive pm's?
Yeah not sure why, I am fine with pm’s but I believe it is disabled. Addy1 appears to still be able to so you could probably ask her to add you to a conversation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Noo gender jokes here society is doing fine all by its self . just got back from the store and HERSHEYS CHOCOLATE has decided if they highlight SHE in herSHEy they will sell more ..... woke is next they will demand it's demeaning to women and you cant have she in any word

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I thought something was mentioned a week or so ago about a regular leaving.
Dont think it was a regular ian mentioned so folks pm him saying the banter was too much for them i believe the story goes.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think it was someone new, but not sure.
Dont think it was a regular ian mentioned so folks pm him saying the banter was too much for them i believe the story goes.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I really hope he'll rejoin. I thought the banter and the jokes were a great way of weaving the forum together into a real community, and not just a bunch of disparate posts. His "castle" gag created an ongoing narrative with all of the forum's members as well-loved characters in the story. I can see how it might be off-putting to some, but still, that sense of fun is sorely lacking in so many technical forums. It would be such a shame to lose that!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
that sense of fun is sorely lacking in so many technical forums

I think that's the rub right there. If you were new to the forum and asked a question that you really needed an answer to and suddenly there thread broke out in inside jokes and unrelated banter, you might say 'well, this is FUN but not necessarily HELPFUL'. Have you ever walked into a room and everyone there already knew everyone else and they were all engaged in conversation, laughing and telling jokes that you didn't get? That's kind of the equivalent to me. Some folks have the time to pop in, ask a question and move on. They don't have time to sort out the whole storyline behind the banter, if that makes sense.

I love that this is a friendly place where we all get to "know" each other, our ponding styles, our pets, etc. and that we are always welcoming to the new ponders, no matter where they are at in their pond life. Not all pond forums can say that.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I think that's the rub right there. If you were new to the forum and asked a question that you really needed an answer to and suddenly there thread broke out in inside jokes and unrelated banter, you might say 'well, this is FUN but not necessarily HELPFUL'. Have you ever walked into a room and everyone there already knew everyone else and they were all engaged in conversation, laughing and telling jokes that you didn't get? That's kind of the equivalent to me. Some folks have the time to pop in, ask a question and move on. They don't have time to sort out the whole storyline behind the banter, if that makes sense.

I love that this is a friendly place where we all get to "know" each other, our ponding styles, our pets, etc. and that we are always welcoming to the new ponders, no matter where they are at in their pond life. Not all pond forums can say that.

It's a good point! As an introvert, I definitely understand the issues of walking into a crowd where everyone else already knows everyone.

But from what I could see, the banter didn't usually get started until well after the initial question had been answered. I was thinking it was a bit like when I take my car to the garage for an issue. At first, the mechanics are all business, answering questions and ordering parts. But once the car is up on the lift and the parts are on their way, the chatter turns to social issues. At that point I can either try to figure out the back story and join in (Oh, so Hammudi just had his first grandchild...so that's what all this fuss is about!) or go and get a cup of coffee and wait for the car to be ready while everyone else passes around baby pictures.

I didn't get the sense that the chatter was instead of answering questions. Certainly, my own questions as a total newbie have been answered to my satisfaction. The social chitchat only got going after I sort of chimed in and encouraged it. I guess it made me feel that "Hey! There's actually a community here! These are folks that are fun to hang out with, who would actually enjoy seeing pictures of the great huge hole in my yard."

Without that, well, it's just another place to come and ask questions, rather than a place to socialize. And that means that the folks who might otherwise hang out here may not be on hand next time I have a question. A bit like if my mechanic's shop was an all volunteer outfit. If it wasn't fun to be there, I doubt I'd find any mechanics on hand next time my car needed fixing!

Ask a Question