What is the green furry looking algae on the stems and underside of lily leaves and how to get rid of it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My lilies look good an are flowering as well as sending new growth. They have an odd furry green that will eventually cover the bottom and edges of the leaves and stems. I think it effects the plants ability to function. The water is clear and I do have a UV filter.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

You said they were looking good, flowering, and making new growth, so what part of the plants function are you concerned about? It sounds like they are functioning as they should be. Sorry, just confused.

Are they in a pond? How long has the pond been up and running? Do you have fish?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1627511134340.gif
@DonnaRachel
Sounds like it's just some algae. If you put lots of plants in your pond it will compete w/the algae and hopefully leave your lily pads alone. Sedges in pots are good nutrient sucker uppers!
http://coloradopondpros.com/2020/07/29/koi-pond-algae/

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe I am a little. The leaves do turn yellow at some point. Is it possible for the algae to kind of strangle the the leaves so to speak and not allow for the gas exchange. It pretty much covers the entire bottom of the leaves and the stems.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Will the sedges be ok if the lilys are taking up a good bit of the light. I do thin the leaves to allow for some to get though.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sedges grow in pots w/only their roots in the water. The top part of the plant sticks up out of the water to suck up the sunlight while the roots suck up the excess nutrients in the water. There are lots of different kinds of Sedges in your local nursery.
The plant right above the alligator head is a sedge that was in my pond.

IMG_8602.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IF YOU FEED YOUR FISH I'D CUT BACK A LITTLE OR ADD MORE PLANTS LILLIES DO LITTLE TO OUT COMPETE ALGEA FOR FOOD
damn caps

Ask a Question