Green pond water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, 2 years ago I had a new filter house built and had a new filter system fitted together with a new liner,and had no problems till this year.
My water is so green and seems to have lots of algae.i have treated it with aqua pure pond treatment as recommended by the garden centre but it is still really green and cloudy. I am pretty new to fish keeping so any advice would be very welcome. Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi sorry to hear you have that horrible green water issue , is your pond in full sunlight a lot of the time ? And have you got a UV light on your filter box ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,thanks for the reply.pond is in the sun for first couple of hours in a morning and then the sun goes behind a tall hedge and is shaded the rest of the day.
I have just replaced the uv bulbs as I do every year.it has never been anything like this before.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok if it was in full sun all day I could understand it , I myself have had that problem what I had a stand-alone fish tank and I used pond water treatment but if you’ve tried that already I don’t know what else to suggest . Can I ask which filters you are using ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok if it was in full sun all day I could understand it , I myself have had that problem what I had a stand-alone fish tank and I used pond water treatment but if you’ve tried that already I don’t know what else to suggest . Can I ask which filters you are using ?
Hi again,I have just done another post regarding plants so hopefully I will get some help there.
The filter house is a lotus clear pond system and has worked well the last couple of years.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
How big is your pond and how many fish, circulation?

Your pond is out of balance, being in the sun doesn’t matter. It is the excess nutrients in your pond, stop dumping algaecides in your pond these do nothing but make it worse. Adding plants and lots of them either in the pond or by creating a bog will outcompete the algae and starve it out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I have learnt something today , so thanks for that ! I was going to suggest adding more plants I am new to this also so please forgive me and good luck with it hope you sort it out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How big is your pond and how many fish, circulation?

Your pond is out of balance, being in the sun doesn’t matter. It is the excess nutrients in your pond, stop dumping algaecides in your pond these do nothing but make it worse. Adding plants and lots of them either in the pond or by creating a bog will outcompete the algae and starve it out.
Hi my pond is 20,000 litres and has 8 koi average 5lb and a few goldfish .all been fine until this year. I think plants are the way forward. Thanks

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Guessing your fish grow some every year! That's the one thing most pond owners don't take in to account when they have issues. Nothing has changed- why am I suddenly having problems? Larger fish= larger waste.

Ask a Question