What kind of connection needed for pump tubing to copper pipe?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello, I'm replacing old vinyl tubing for my garden water fountain and looking for someone to tell me what kind of coupling/connection to use.

My pump has an outlet for 1/2" ID tubing...so I bought flexible clear vinyl tubing that fits properly on the barbed adapter outlet on the pump end, but on the end that connects to the fountain head, it's the same size 1/2 ID tubing but in copper (it seems). I can't get the vinyl tubing to stretch over the copper (that's how the previous home owner made the connection and then put a ring clamp on it). Is there a trick to this or an easier way using some sort of connection fitting?

The copper fountain head inlet doesn't have any threads on it by the way.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3579.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can use a pipe clamp ,just make sure it is made of stainless steel so it does not rust .The pipe clamp needs to be tightened down but not so tight that it crushes the copper pipe .You can put a sealing compound on it to make sure it does not leak around the clamp.You can warm up that tubibg to make it slide on easier or use a little vaseline

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I've had good luck "stretching" vinyl tubing over things by cutting the tubing at somewhat of a diagonal (makes a bigger area to fit over the "too big" connection and dipping the tubing in HOT water for a minute or so.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Use the proper size tubing that will slide over the fountain Copper inlet. Purchase an adapter for the pump outlet.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've had good luck "stretching" vinyl tubing over things by cutting the tubing at somewhat of a diagonal (makes a bigger area to fit over the "too big" connection and dipping the tubing in HOT water for a minute or so.

Thanks, I'll try this out first! Also, the tubing is kinked up in spots as it was in a coil from the store, would the hot water trick fix that or is there another way to make it straighter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Usually, this type tubing will "relax" if it's nice and warm/hot. Sometimes running hot water through and working the kinked spot between your fingers helps.

You'll want a cup of very hot water next to the work area when you expand the tube over the copper, so you can immerse it and immediately stretch it over the fitting.

Good Luck,

Steve

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would still use a clamp with the force of the water it may push the tubing off .That happened to me .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If it has problems it is always cheap to replace and you could always keep a piece ready to go .When I did my first pond I had to stretch the pipe so I just added a collar of a slightly larger pipe over it and clamped both down .

Ask a Question