What kind of surround to dress up stock tank?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Frito,
This idea is similar to what shdwdrgn suggested but without the dirt. You will need to build a small frame around the stocktank this can be square and not rounded make it 24" tall same height as the stocktank. This is similar to how you would build a small wall you will need a 2x4 on for the bottom and one for the top then you will need to cut four short 2x4 about 21" in length, one on each end and the other two spaced out evenly. Then you will need to make three more of them to give you the four sides you need, nail or screw these together at the corners. The next thing you need to look for or find is either cedar fence boards or go to a reuse store and find some old barnwood, you can also check for a Habitat for Humanity store they may have something you can use. The cedar fencing can be bought at Home depot or lowes for a couple of dollars each. The fence boards get cut to about 24" long and nailed or screwed to the frame.

Now the frame is square and the stocktank is round so on the corners you will have an open space what I would do with this is take a piece of 2x4 and cut the ends in angle to make it go from one side to the other then you can take the same cedar or barn wood and lay it on top. I have attached a crude drawing to help you understand what I am talking about. I would use pressure treated 2x4's since it is outside and by water.

Attachments

• Stock tank covering.pdf
    91.8 KB · Views: 424

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Frito,
Another option would be to take the fence boards and get some adhesive (liquid nail), cut them to size and glue them to the stocktank. I am not fond of this one though because if you ever change your mind that glue will be hard to get off. I found at Lowes these fence boards that are pressure treated for $1.60 each and you can get two slat boards out of each and I estimate that you will need somewhere around 28 just for the sides. I also attached a website for that Habitat for humanity reuse store.

If you don't like the squarish shape you could always do an octagon shape, it would just be more cuts but would cut out the shelves on each corner. Or if you kept the shelves, one for your waterfall, and the others for a couple of splitters.

This would not be on the cheap side but you could always get a roll of copper sheeting and somehow glue it to the side. Leave it smooth or take a hammer and knock dings in it to give it some character. I also saw on a show where they took the copper sheeting and laid it down on some gravel and walked over it, gave it all these dimpled looks.

http://www.habitat.org/cd/env/restore_detail.aspx?place=89

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Reaction score
Liquid Nails is a brand name, you have to pick the right product within the brand. You'd be talking an epoxy, of which you could use any brand. Not easy to use or apply and the cost, I'd guess $100 or more if you're doing the entire outside. If you wanted to go with a glue a cheaper choice would be a polyurethane glue. Still not cheap, but way less than epoxy. It takes a long time for glues to hold something heavy like a rock, so you need a way to keep the rock in place. Not fun.

The issue with glues is how long they last. The glue itself may last forever, but the zinc its adhered to not so long. The glue doesn't protect the zinc and instead traps water against it. It oxidizes and comes apart. It only takes a layer one molecule deep to fail. I've seen this with clear silicone inside plastic filters where a black fungus or bacteria layer grew between the silicone and plastic tank. Only lasted about 6 months.

I don't know how long a glue would hold to zinc. Could be a year, could be 10 years. But I wouldn't be surprised to see some failure after a year. Of course you could repair failures.

Ask a Question