What to do about food?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I'm in 5B too @snoozer , although a bit south of you. We haven't had ice on the pond for a while now, mostly because we got that big snowfall that insulated everything from the cold. So once the snow melted the pond was still open. We're predicted to be in the high 40s - low 50s all week so maybe we're done with ice on the pond for this winter.
We are supposed to hit the upper 40's and low 50's also. There was a big thaw in January but the water was still on the top of a layer of ice and then the cold showed up again froze everything. Pretty soon spring will show up to stay.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My water has been over 50 for a few days.
Today is the first time I have seen all the fish out at the same time
I put some HoneyNut Cherios in a bag with a little garlic and crunched it a little
I only gave them each a little bit but it was fun feeding again.
They were all timmid at first but after the first one tasted the garlic they all got excited.(I think they comunicate with each other)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have lily pads up. Parrot's Feather is growing as are all marginals! Water Celery is looking positively lush! Crazy, even for down here in the south!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog is starting to green up, the pond iris are growing a bit, but nothing else. Lilies still just hanging out.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My blue forget me not has started greening.. It does great this time of year, lots of open space.
The obedience plants are about 2 inches tall. Once they start growing the grow like crazy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My water has been over 50 for a few days.
Today is the first time I have seen all the fish out at the same time
I put some HoneyNut Cherios in a bag with a little garlic and crunched it a little
I only gave them each a little bit but it was fun feeding again.
They were all timmid at first but after the first one tasted the garlic they all got excited.(I think they comunicate with each other)
I wish I could get my fish to eat garlic, I heard it is great for boosting the immune system

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
My blue forget me not has started greening.. It does great this time of year, lots of open space.
The obedience plants are about 2 inches tall. Once they start growing the grow like crazy.

We went back to the 40s here. What is it over there now?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We went back to the 40s here. What is it over there now?
Up and down, last mornings have been in the 20's days in the 40-50. Noreaster coming tomorrow, snow ice sleet rain your guess is as good as mine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
OVERVIEW
High-quality wheat germ pellet food for ornamental pond koi
Formulated for easy digestion when pond water is below 60°F
Added vitamins and minerals ensure nutrition vital for koi health
img
Ensure vital nutrition when koi need it most. Blackwater Cool Water Formula optimizes koi nutrition with highly palatable and easy-to-digest wheat germ pellets. Specially blended formula allows koi and other pond fish to properly digest and extract nutrients even when pond water temperatures stay below 60°F. Added vitamins and minerals boost nutrition to help condition koi during transitional periods of cool water temperatures. 39-59°F+

Offer Blackwater Cool Water Formula in the spring to prevent egg-bound females. Great seasonal diet when pond water temperatures stay below 60°F during spring or fall. Also an excellent diet to offer all year long. Floating pellets measure approximately 3 mm.

MORE INFORMATION
Ingredients

Wheat Germ, Fish Meal, Plant Protein Products, Dried Yeast Culture, Shrimp Meal, Garlic, Rice Germ, Monosodium Glutamate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Choline Chloride, D-Biotine, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K Activity), Folic Acid, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodate, Ethylenediamine Dihydrodide, and Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C).

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein
32% min.
Crude Fat 4% min.
Crude Fiber 4% max.

The list of ingredients is for a food you can buy online at Drs Foster&Smith

Ask a Question