What to do when power goes out (aeration)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My fish are inside... about 600 gallons. We are right in the path of Sandy and I am in south Jersey. What do I do when the power goes out? Periodically pour water into the pond with buckets? Blow into it with straws? I am stressed out over this cause of my fish and I dont know if anyone knows I got a baby blue bar ambilobe chameleon about 1 month ago and its still small... I have thermacare heat packs on hand for that when the power goes out to keep him warm. I hope it works or lasts long enough.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good question and not a lot of good answers. Watch and monitor closely. Obviously heat isn't a problem for the fish being indoors. But O2 can be. Especially if you have an overcrowded situation since many do when they bring fish inside to a smaller pond.

If you get an extended electric outage, I would consider moving a few of the biggest fish back outside. The temps are not that cold now. Select a couple of the biggest fish as they consume the most resources and will be affected first in a low O2 situation.

Aside from O2 levels, If your filter isn't running you might get ammonia build ups so if you can monitor the ammonia levels that would be good. A water change could help that if you have suitable water to replace it will, (I.e. no chlorine).

I don't know the size or depth of your pond outside but I think moving some fish might be the best answer in an extended power outage.

The other option is water exchange between the outside pond and the inside pond. I.e. Siphon water out of the indoor pond, and replace it with water from the outside pond. Maybe plan on doing a certain number of gallons every 2-3 hours.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The chameleon should be inside, if not already, don't know too much about them.
Gold fish and KOI will be fine if power goes out, for a day or two, and it should not be cold enough there to be a concern, not like its going to get far below freezing or anything? The pond water temperature should cool off with storm and fish should be just fine so long as the flood does not come get them!

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
They do also make battery powered air pumps, not very powerful or anything, but could be that little bit of difference between life and death if there is an extended power outage.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I think the fish should be OK, considering the weather is cooler, they will go into a dormant state and will consume less oxygen, and swim slower, and that should keep them fine for a few days, depending on how crowded they are.

I think you should be more concerned about your safety, and forget the fish if you have to.... stay safe, hope all is well!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hi all. Sorry I was MIA. I sort of forgot that I had posted this but thankfully everything was fine. When the storm came I just sat and waited pretty much until the power off. It ended up just flickering and never went out. We have a TON of leaves to clean up but thats about it.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Good to hear everybody fine. Had to drive to Calgary again yesterday, John had another doctor appointment. The fog was very very thick, could hardly see. The Antenna on the truck kept getting ice, then the antenna would bounce back and forth like a darn yo yo, from all the heavy ice caused by the thick fog. The whole darn truck got covered in ice from driving in heavy fog! It was very weird. I have to take John back to Calgary tomorrow for more treatment, hope the fog is gone and the roads will be ok..... freezing rain ALL day...... roads better be good tomorrow!

By the time we got to Strathmore, there was a clearing in the fog, but Jack Frost touched everything!!

Attachments

• IMAG1969-1.jpg
    IMAG1969-1.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMAG1970-1.jpg
    IMAG1970-1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 292
  • IMAG1972-1.jpg
    IMAG1972-1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 267
  • IMAG1968-1.jpg
    IMAG1968-1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 285

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh be careful driving Colleen and love the pretty snow but makes me shiver looking at it
trick_or_treater-1921.gif

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Saw some fog tonight driving home, and the last couple of mornings have been about 28 degrees on my way to work, so we might get a little frosty white looking tomorrow.

Ask a Question