What to do with plants in Minnesota over winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my first winter with a backyard pond in Minnesota. I have hearty lilies, Iris and cardinal plants. All in fabric pots packed in the clay. Plants did great through the summer and I’d rather not start over. I’ve read everything from keeping them where they are and trimming them back to submerging them to deeper part of pond. Looking for suggestions. Thx!

Ad

Advertisements

brokensword

Not all those who wander are lost
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
depending on how cold it gets there; hardy lilies put below the ICE line, cardinal flower you can cut down and leave where they are, iris get the same cut down and leave treatment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with @brokensword except I rarely cut back my pond plants before winter. If they are stiff enough to not droop into the pond, I leave them until spring. Either way is fine though - your preference.

brokensword

Not all those who wander are lost
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I agree with @brokensword except I rarely cut back my pond plants before winter. If they are stiff enough to not droop into the pond, I leave them until spring. Either way is fine though - your preference.
The main reason I cut them back in the fall is that they're basically dry and not rotting, as they tend to be come spring, but you're right, Lisa; as long as they don't droop the pond will be fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The main reason I don't is because I've completely run out of steam by fall... haha! That's partially true - but I do like the structure they provide all winter. Something other than just flat and white... sigh...

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Tell us about your pond, and we love to see pictures! Do you have any fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Which area of Minnesota? I was born north of Duluth, and lord how I miss all the pine forest! The creeks out there had the best mats of spagnum moss, and the leopard frogs loved it. Blueberry bushes had a flavor that’s impossible to find in stores.... I miss that area!

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question