What type of nets do you use?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
While trying to find a net to clean out my small preform pond up front, I wonder for anyone who does net their fish- What type of net do you use? I know there are koi socks out there but does any one use some thing else and what is it. I sell some koi each year so that means netting fish several times. I would like to find out what everybody uses to minimize stress and damage.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL when I first read it I though you meant to clean the bottom, not catch fish, for that swimming pool net.
To catch fish, a net I bought at home depot. But not trying to catch koi and very seldom try to catch any fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a little worried by your statement of a small preformed pond with koi in it , just how many gallons are we talking about here and how many koi does this small pond hold ?.
How cold do your winters get as it is recomended that koi have 4ft at a minimum depth to safely over winter and just what filtration do you have on the pond ?
If your going to clean a pond you dont use a net to do the job buy tyourself a pond Vac so that at least then you know your pond is clear of all muck and detritus .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Phew glad to here it however a vac would still do the job and be far less messy for you as those preforms seem to attract muck , this I know because I used to help with our neighbours pond before she sold her house and the small preform ripped out ;)

Dave:)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had one and they over heat in they summer because they are so shallow .I use a pool net and just an old fashioned fishing net .But best why to catch my koi without stressing them out was use a shallow tote .Since they were slow at the time it was easy .ponddigger told me to try that so I would not stress aggie and bert out .Also told me they may stress a little and you may get a little blood from there gills .But I did not see that and aggie and bert are happy with the new digs they have .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My friend up the road has koi and she has used a pillow case cut open on both ends for easy release.

Reaction score
I use butterfly nets from a store called 5 Below that only cost $1 to scoop debris out of the pond. The holes are very tiny so it really gets the small stuff. Wal-Mart has nets where the net is rubber rather than string. I like using this to catch fish because their fins don't get tangled in the net.

Ask a Question