Who has pond lighting? What type?

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I've just ordered a set of three 12 LED waterproof pond lights with a photocell to come on at night.
I don't know how bright they will be or where I will place them yet.
I was thinking about under the water surface, but I don't want to stress the fish at night.
I could also place them near the plants and waterfall.
I'm curious to see what others have done.
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
3C5F1206-6BC7-4679-9344-A93F4926246B.png
A24A77EE-FD79-4787-8EA8-0CC45AD0D84C.png
3D48B425-D3E7-4D42-AD2D-EF27DADC06F2.png
I've just ordered a set of three 12 LED waterproof pond lights with a photocell to come on at night.
I don't know how bright they will be or where I will place them yet.
I was thinking about under the water surface, but I don't want to stress the fish at night.
I could also place them near the plants and waterfall.
I'm curious to see what others have done.
Thanks
I am using these from Volt Lighting......kinda pricey but very heavy duty. Have mine on a timer so they are only on three hours a night, doesn't seem to bother the fish

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
That application looks great.
The set I ordered was $30....So I'm expecting scetchy quality.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I bought this one for my little pond a few months ago...
61pmwfoW5CL._SX681_.jpg

but, have already removed it. I didn't like the stark white led light, and didn't think it did much to enhance the pond at night. It kind of reminded me of the scene in a TV show when a car runs off the road into a body of water, sinks, but you can still see the headlight under the water! :cautious:

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I bought this one for my little pond a few months ago...
View attachment 106331
but, have already removed it. I didn't like the stark white led light, and didn't think it did much to enhance the pond at night. It kind of reminded me of the scene in a TV show when a car runs off the road into a body of water, sinks, but you can still see the headlight under the water! :cautious:
I saw that on Ebay for $13.
For that, it was well worth the price,huh?
That style is identical to the trio that I've just ordered. They have colored lenses. I might just keep them clear.
And mine are low voltage A/C with a transformer.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The light output is pretty strong for it's size. Not too sure how long it stays strong. I go to bed early, but I get up early, too. I have still seen a bit of a glow at 3:00am in the morning, but not enough really to light anything at that point. A lot also depends on how strong the sun is on any particular day in charging the battery for the night.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use down lights it shows the water clear .Hubby had eye surgery and can't look down at lights shining up at his eyes .I think the lights shining down around the pond give me a view of everything around the pond besides in it .Plus don't have to worry about them leaking and causing an electrical shock to the fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ugh. My underwater lights were really expensive and didn't even last through the first year. The mistake we made was not putting them deep enough - they froze and cracked. A simple reminder to do that in the instructions would have made a WORLD of difference. They're Aquascape lights. The ones we installed outside the pond and in the waterfall are still working great, but not so much underwater.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I'm thinking about playing with side glow fiber optics, with the light sources outside the pond. They could look really neat in the waterfall. But... it's winter and all will soon be frozen, so I suppose I can't try until spring thaw.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
As with any area of life, you get what you pay for.

The solar powered lights rely on daylight to charge the batteries. I have tried them (and I work in the lighting industry).

They work OK if there's a lot of strong sunshine on a summer's day. I have seen them last all night in midsummer. In winter with short days and lots of cloud cover, they barely gain enough charge to light dimly for an hour.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought those metal brooder type holders and just put in LED bulbs .Th fixtures at the flea market were 2 dollars .Plus it helps me see the pond on my security cameras .

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Ugh. My underwater lights were really expensive and didn't even last through the first year. The mistake we made was not putting them deep enough - they froze and cracked. A simple reminder to do that in the instructions would have made a WORLD of difference. They're Aquascape lights. The ones we installed outside the pond and in the waterfall are still working great, but not so much underwater.
Freezing won't be an issue.
But then neither is lack of sunlight.

Ask a Question