What would be the reason ?

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
hello, I'm new. I have a goldfish pond in my garden but my fish are dying what would be the main reason ..?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We need more information to even guess. How big is your pond, how old is it, what kind of filtration do you have, how many fish, what size are they, any plants? Do you test the water, and if so, what are the results. How are the fish dieing, any injuries or marks, gasping at the surface? Are chemicals such as lawn fertilizer or pest treatment used near there?
Your question is akin to telling the dr you don’t feel good, and expecting him to save your life, when you won’t say how you don’t feel good.
The number one cause of fish death is bad water quality, either due to overstocked pond, chemicals added to treat a problem, or insufficient filtration. Each goldfish needs about 60 gallons of filtered water for optimal health, koi need 1000, and for filtration, the pump should be moving the entire pond volume at least 1.5-2x per hour, unless it is a bog filter, which does a better job just slower. Feel free to read the various threads on bogs, how and why they work, and how to build one if you decide you need one.
If you have multiple goldfish in a small pond, and are not testing the water, please go get a test kit. The gold standard around here is the api pond liquid test kit, but even the aquarium test strips will help give you an idea of what’s out of order so we can help get you on the right track. New ponds go through a nitrogen cycle, where beneficial bacteria colonize the pond and multiply, to turn fish waste into less harmful products. If you just set up a 100 gallon pond last month, then added 100 goldfish, most will die. All will suffer from some form of damage due to the high volume of fish waste in their home. Think of it as just that, a home. They can’t use a toilet to remove waste, can’t take out the trash, that is why we filter the water. The bacteria turns the poo into less harmful forms, and it’s up to you to remove the bad, either via a filter, water changes, or a bog filter. Pictures also help us see what the problem might be.

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
Hii
JamieB
thank you for the kind response,
Yes, You are right! I have multiple goldfish in a small pond and are not testing the water yet..it's my 1st experience in fishing....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get a good test kit your ammonia may be high and or other things may be high. Post the results we will help out as much as we can.
Small ponds start out fine then the fish grow, make babies and your water goes bad, then they start dying.

Welcome to our forum!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1601917581376.gif
@skiingbowyang
Sorry this is happening and hope you can get that test kit and figure things out.

Ask a Question