Whats this fish?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have 3 guppy that are a little over 2.5" so it is not impossible to grow that large. Especially considering the environment they were in but, like I said in the OP I am only making a guess;)
PS: Only females will get anywhere close to that size though and not every type of guppy does. Majority of my other guppy are in the range of 1" up to about 2".
How a fish is measured is important. There are three (3) classifications that are used depending on specie: standard, fork and total. For general measurement, standard is usually the norm.
upload_2016-2-10_12-53-14.jpeg

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
How a fish is measured is important. There are three (3) classifications that are used depending on specie: standard, fork and total. For general measurement, standard is usually the norm.
View attachment 89072
In that case I will add the caveat that mine were going by the total but, obviously we would need to know what the OP is using to measure the fish he found. I dont think "fork" applies at all to my fish though as they have a straight tail. Also I think the OP said the fish was 2.25" which sounds even more like a possible guppy.
PS: Thanks for that chart as I never knew there were so many classifications to measure by (y)

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I'm a fisherman,and I don't know anyone who measures or states a fishes measurement as anything other then total length from tip of nose to fork of tail.
I thought that a catch was measured from end to end with 30% added each time the story is told :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Have no idea what this fish may be, but if it is over 2.5 inches in length it is not a Guppy.

It looks a lot more like a guppy than a molly, shape wise. As an FYI, though I'm a koi guy, I've had indoor tanks years back. Female guppies can grow to 2 inches assuming the tank is 20 gallons or larger ... Other than that, it up for grabs ....

Attachments

• guppy.jpeg
    guppy.jpeg
    5.7 KB · Views: 259
  • molly.jpg
    molly.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 206

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Not the best photos but it does appear that the Dorsal Fin begins at about the same distance from the gills as the Pectoral fins.On a Guppy, the dorsal fin would begin much further back on the body more in line with the rear of the abdomen.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It was a guesstimate rather than a measurement but it was a total guesstimate if you know what I mean. I will try and catch one again today if I have time. Thank you everyone who has helped so far. I appreciate it. :)

PS the reason why I guessed was as much to do with the fact that I had caught it to photograph it and put it in a water filled container to photograph it. The fish was not pleased and was thrashing about like mad so I wanted to get it back quickly. I thought it might jump out too. Next time I will put it in a deeper container.

Ask a Question