Whats best Pond Skimmer

Reaction score
Ladies and Gents

Ive got a 1750 gallon pond of which I would say is approx 5ft deep and approx 14 feet width.

Im looking at getting a pond skimmer as im getting sick in having to continually hoover up all the dead leaves in the bottom using a pond vac. I would prefer one with a pump on it.

Anyone got any ideas on a good one or any suggestions.

Thanks

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Helix.
Helix Skimmer - Fish Safe.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm interested in the responses, since I'm planning my own pond. Has anyone used the Savio skimmer? I'm considering it. I would LOVE to get a Helix, but it's too expensive for my budget. I watched a review on youtube and the Savio looked pretty good. For those of you who follow Eric Tripplet, The Pond Digger, did you know he designed the Helix skimmer? I didn't know this until I watched the skimmer reviews on youtube and the guy mentioned it. (Can't remember the name of the reviewer.) Anyway, Helix seems to be the best -- now I just need to figure out what is NEXT best.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Keep in mind that adding a skimmer to an existing pond is a relatively simple process.

I prefer to use the absolute best equipment that I can get, and if I can't get it right away I don't "settle" for what I don't really want.

Often times people buy what they perceive they can "afford", only to become disappointed down the road, buy what they wanted in the first place, and are then stuck with what they originally bought.

You've essentially bought it twice, much like those that use cheap sump pumps for ponds because they were "cheaper".

AquaScape makes a decent product, as does Savio and Atlantic.

Always look for an adjustable weir for fluctuating water levels.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm interested in the responses, since I'm planning my own pond. Has anyone used the Savio skimmer? I'm considering it. I would LOVE to get a Helix, but it's too expensive for my budget. I watched a review on youtube and the Savio looked pretty good. For those of you who follow Eric Tripplet, The Pond Digger, did you know he designed the Helix skimmer? I didn't know this until I watched the skimmer reviews on youtube and the guy mentioned it. (Can't remember the name of the reviewer.) Anyway, Helix seems to be the best -- now I just need to figure out what is NEXT best.

Yes I did. :) And his stuff is made in the USA which I love but you are right its really expensive stuff. He's also a very nice guy and will answer any questions you might have.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Keep in mind that adding a skimmer to an existing pond is a relatively simple process.

I prefer to use the absolute best equipment that I can get, and if I can't get it right away I don't "settle" for what I don't really want.

Often times people buy what they perceive they can "afford", only to become disappointed down the road, buy what they wanted in the first place, and are then stuck with what they originally bought.

You've essentially bought it twice, much like those that use cheap sump pumps for ponds because they were "cheaper".

AquaScape makes a decent product, as does Savio and Atlantic.

Always look for an adjustable weir for fluctuating water levels.

This happened to me :(

@bagsmom this is a GREAT video you should watch before you build. I wish I had.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yes I did. :) And his stuff is made in the USA which I love but you are right its really expensive stuff. He's also a very nice guy and will answer any questions you might have.
He is!!!!!!! Really love his tutorials. I wish I could afford the $2800 for the kit he sells and uses in his fish pond building videos.

I will watch the 20 questions video. Thanks!!!!!!

I have wanted to do a pond for YEARS now! I am a homemaker and we have a fairly tight budget for life, much less a pond! But I've been squirrelling away some grocery money week by week and do petsitting and lawnmowing for neighbors. So -- while I would love to get the best of everything, it would be many MORE years before I could have a pond if I up the budget. I am willing to wait several more months to spend about $1,500. I'm hoping that for my 50th bday, my Dad (who loves yard projects) will kick in some money for rocks. Hoping hubby (who is not quite as enthusiastic about yard projects) will do the same.

Bottom line, I am ready to go for it and willing to spend some more money than I thought I needed -- but if I wait too many more years, I'll be too old to dig it!!!!! :)

I'm looking at the Savio and Atlantic kits but still shopping around. I'll watch the video now! Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
This video is great! Fascinating! I will just be doing a little water garden with a few run-of-the-mill goldfish -- not koi. I don't have the space for that. But I am going to do the best pond I can in the space that I have. It will probably be about 8 x 11. (Much like the pond The Pond Digger did in his How To Build a Fish Pond video series.)

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Didn't Waynefromcan have a problem with Savio skimmers cracking during our winters?
I use a Little Giant skimmer and it's stood up well for 4 years now.

Almost any skimmer will stand up to being frozen solid if you take a simple, precautionary step when shutting down your pond for the winter months.

Stuffing the skimmer with either pool noodles or wraparound pipe insulation will prevent the ice from expanding to the point of destroying the skimmer body.

The bonus is that either of these materials can be used season after season.

I've seen bubble-wrap used as well, and just as effectively.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Another good thought! It is so great to get on here and learn from all you "experts!" The value of experience!

I'm in the northern half of GA. We get some cold spells, but nothing crazy. I wonder if I'll need to shut the pond down for winter, or not?

Ask a Question