What's wrong with my water poppy?

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Just bought this water poppy a week ago from a local pond store, now it seems to be dying. What's going wrong here?

Attachments

• IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 281

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Add nitrogen,
Seachem Nitrogen is ok for this. Or NilocG fertilizers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Calcium nitrate is usually on the shelf. Beware, nitrates can trigger excessive foliar growth. Double, triple normal size. Algae luuuurves the stuff

Apply with caution, can be over done and nitric acid is corrosive....Your photo indicates harsh plant shock, it reacted bad to moving, you do have nice neat new stuff coming through

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thanks all. I will look for the fertilizer and apply conservatively.

It did have a rough introduction, about 3 days after I placed it in the pond, one of my kids screwed with the fountain which drained the pond about 2/3 where it stayed until I noticed it several hours later.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Some people treat the plant not the water. give it a fertilizer soak twice a month.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ok so let me reply to everyone in this thread, with one big "blow"

If you test your water parameters your NITRATE should be about 10ppm, if not, or lower, this is why your having this issue. This also determines How much nitrate you add to the water. say you have 0ppm nitrate in the water Right Now, then I would need to know the size of the pond to determine how many ml (for example) of nitrate to add to your water. if you don't have a cycled pond (bacteria makes the nitrate) then this may cause your lack in nitrate, another thing is you may not have fish, their waste itself produces ammonia, and nitrate.
Algae feeds off of everything it can get its hands on, if you add Nitrogen to any plant, it will grow better or have side effects. Its commons sense, like giving an 8 year old a jolly rancher, they love it. Any kid does.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, you said you where "going to add it conservatively" Nitrogen isn't something you just "pour a dash in and maybe it'll do good" if you do that, your Bound, to either have excess algae growth, or your plant wont even have an effect. This is a very wasteful process rather than doing the math, saving money, time, and effort.

reacted bad to moving, you do have nice neat new stuff coming through
This is called melting, acclimation process.

Last edited:

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It did have a rough introduction, about 3 days after I placed it in the pond, one of my kids screwed with the fountain which drained the pond about 2/3 where it stayed until I noticed it several hours later.
This wouldn't have harmed the plant, other than the fact it may have got hot, which isn't the main issue if an issue at all.

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
This wouldn't have harmed the plant, other than the fact it may have got hot, which isn't the main issue if an issue at all.
The problem might not have been that the plant was exposed for a few hours, more likely that I had to replace most of the water which meant lost bacteria and lost nitrogen. And the added chlorine couldn't have helped.

I'd love to add some fish, but I really don't want to give the raccoons a reason to hang around.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd love to add some fish, but I really don't want to give the raccoons a reason to hang around.

Without fish in your pond, your plants will need regular fertilization. You can use a granular or stick type fertilizer - create a hole in the soil and either dump or push the fertilizer into the hole and then press the hole back together with your fingers. I use an old wooden spoon handle that I keep with my garden supplies for just this purpose. That way you are sure you are fertilizing the plant itself and not the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
A change in nitrogen won't yellow the foliage. You would see foliage do a different growth, smaller or larger
Chlorine won't bother a plant, it would gag any bug or fish with gills or lungs
A couple of hours in hot car or the sun, where temps whistle over 100f sure would do plant shock like that. As would a shallow position when hot full midday sun over heats shallow water and stratifies, water poppy does like about 8"-12" depth

Fortunately the plant still had sufficient live tissues to put up new foliage

Ask a Question