What's my fish? Tiny fast moving silver chap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I inherited a pond from the previous owners when we moved house a couple of years ago. There's a mixture of fish in there- the goldfish are easy to identify, and there is another black fish that looks like some kind of carp. There are also some small, dark and incredibly fast clever fish that are dark with silver tummies and have an orangey tinge to their fins.

This summer we appear to have loads of babies which is a bit of a nightmare as the pond is becoming overstocked. I managed to catch one of the tiniest fish and take a photo, but I have absolutely no idea what he is... Please help! Your ideas are hugely appreciated! He is extremely fast and jumps impressively
DSC_1694.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF!

I don't know a whole lot about fish, but this one could be a golden orfe. Or maybe a goldfish. Or maybe a cross between the two - anything is possible!

Share more pictures of your pond and fish - we love pictures! And tell us more - how big, how many gallons, what type of filtration, etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will see if I can catch a bigger one, but they are as fast as lightning so it's quite tricky. I don't think he is a goldfish- I grew up with them as a child and this fish has larger eyes and faint green/brown speckles across the top of his head. If I could catch one of the bigger ones who has orangey fins you'd see what I mean.

The pond is small, with a lot of plants and wildlife. It has a filter and UV. Aeration wise it has a giant terracotta vase that water runs down on all sides

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Like your boots! Neat looking fish, love the red tipped fins.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is what one of my throwback colored gold fish looks like.
Capture2.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nice fish! I have about 6 of these red tipped fins (about 8-10cm each) plus plenty of red tipped finned babies (that are a bit bigger than the 1st silver one posted above). I honestly don't think they are goldfish. They all have short pointy fins, narrow bodied, super fast and clever. They don't grow at the same rate as the big docile goldies either despite eating more

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with you, but no clue on what they are.

Any fish stores around you could ask? Keep the one you caught in a nice amount of water and take it with you

Ask a Question