When can I introduce fish to my new pond ?

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Water lettuce and hyacinths can quickly take over a pond. Cull them out to maintain a reasonable effect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
thanks everyone for all the compliments!

so i've added de-chlorinate substance to the pool and i've been adding bacteria to the pool also last 2-3 days... i wanted to get a pack of rosey barb but a lot of people suggested that this is a bad time to introduce them to a pond because its cold, and that i should do it in the summer.

i'm not sure what difference does it make because it will be winter next year again :p - maybe its because they'll have more time to adjust to the temperature ?

anyway, i think i'll start adding goldfish today or tomorrow.

oh, and i've been gardening for a while now (the pond is my latest project) and i am truly baffled on the speed the water plants is growing. the lettuce has doubled itself (at least) in the 1 week its in my pond! the water lilly has also popped 2 new leaves... its pretty cool :)

i would love to shoot a follow up video in about a month to show you the progress.

on the subject of koi - some people told me that if i would bring small koi (young ones) they wouldn't grow too much in my pond, so its ok to bring 2-3 koi fishes. any thoughts ?

also any other advice on fish i could add would be awesome - haven't added any yet :p

thanks a lot for all the comments again!!
Simply Put "NO", koi would not do well in such a small pond and would rapidly outgrow it so if you wish to go ahead and keep koi , your going to need a digger to dig a hole 4.5ft deep and as wide as you want it , hense me saying people are never really happy with their first attempt at a pond and build bigger one for koi

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
So true guys we UK BKKS koi kepers have what we call formal ponds which means no plants just koi and algae on the sides and bottom of the pond .

Dave

Ask a Question