sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Where would you get them and do they clog up with gunk and algae .I don't ever remember seeing anything like them before .They would be great in the warmer weather as highly oxygenated water does not grow algae as well and plus will help fish

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I could easly hide that or smaller under my bridge and if I could do it in black pipe even better .I have never seen this at lowes or home depot or even any of the farm stores .Thats why i thought they could have been pool jets

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
taherrmann4 said:
Don't you have to leave a hole to the outside so the gasses can escape?

Taherrmann4, I have thought about the holes, but they would cause the loss of sun-heat from my greenhouse-pond. I used a stainless-steel-drum to form a cone-shape-dome... up which the gases would escape to (See the drum in my previous photo). Once awhile when I checked on my fishes, I uncovered the pond & let out the gases from the dome.

sissy said:
Where would you get them and do they clog up with gunk and algae .I don't ever remember seeing anything like them before .They would be great in the warmer weather as highly oxygenated water does not grow algae as well and plus will help fish

sissy said:
I could easly hide that or smaller under my bridge and if I could do it in black pipe even better .I have never seen this at lowes or home depot or even any of the farm stores .Thats why i thought they could have been pool jets

Sissy, an 1,000 hole nozzle can be purchased through this link:

My fountain has not been clogged up by gunk, algae, or debris eversince I've installed the new bio-mechanical filter. It has filtered the pond water cleanly and clearly by 3 layers of coarse, medium and super fine spongies/foams (see photos).

123ponds_2149_143670713

DSC01673.jpg

DSC01675.jpg

DSC01677.jpg

Good luck to you if you want to install the nozzles as a water fountain for your aforementioned purposes.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That is quite the setup Johnnie. We don't get that cold here to warrant anything like that.
If we get freeze it only lasts a few days. I just wondered if even if it's not freezing but in the high 30's or 40's if I should leave the system continuously on cuz of circulating the cold water all around the whole pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It looks similar to a shower head in those pics at best nest and yuk on the filter

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine froze over solid, goldies not koi, 8 inches of ice and the few fish I had in it did fine.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I keep mine running but in the bubble pipe I made .but not in my filters as 2 years ago 2 pipes froze and cracked and I have that foam pipe wrap around mine .Here I live on the southern side of Va 15 minutes from the NC border and if pipes freeze and break here and are well protected not sure what would happen if you live in a state that is really cold .And 2 years ago we had 70 degrees on christmas day so that was the normal milder years for here .The last 2 years with the weather changes I would not keep my filters running .The bubbles in the pipe keep the water from freezing completely and since this past winter was so bad I am considering now getting a heater for my pond .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks Keith, I went back and read that thread and it does make sense. I think I will give it a try again and also hook everything back up now instead of waiting til Spring. Next winter I will leave the pump and filter all hooked up to provide a much cleaner pond for the fish :LOL:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
though thinking about it I do keep lava rock in the crates where the pumps are and I guess that is filtering the water too .So I guess I was wrong about not filtering my water .I just don't run up to the outside filters as I did that as I said and everything froze up and even filter tank broke and pond emptied out to where 1 pump burned out before I noticed as other was higher up .They where both up but one was lower than the other

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi j.w. I just hooked up my pump last week and so far my pond is so much better than last year. I waited until April 1st last year and by then my pond really stunk from all the leaves that fell in over the winter. At that point I felt I needed a big water change and cleaned the whole pond and had other problems. This year I am not doing any serious cleaning until I have my biofilter up and running and the pond has fully cycled. From what I read the bacteria in the biofilter does not live under for 50 degrees so I am not in a rush to hook it up yet. Boy what a difference a year makes and learning from all the knowledgeable people on this forum.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can do like they said here put a laundry basket by your waterfall and put filter media in it and run your hose into that .I am keeping that idea on my list for next year to help clean the pond before I turn on filters .I figure if I put 100% all natural quilt batting in it that will help pick up all that fine stuff and I found the batting at walmart for 8 dollars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sissy, I think that is probably a good idea. The problem is my wife already thinks I'm nuts because of the time I spend on my pond. I wonder what she will think if I am outside holding a laundry basket?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
:bowdown::LOL::biggrinangelA::LOL::LOL:could be funny though .I would pay to see her face and drcase is the one who had that info .She may run out and put laundry in it ,just make sure you buy your own laundry basket and not steal hers

Ask a Question