When would you say is too late in the season to move fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's been storming since yesterday! It doesn't look like we'll be able to finish the excavation of the new pond this weekend, which means we won't be able to take an accurate measurement and order the liner, which means we'll have to postpone the opening of this pond by yet another week....that will put us to the middle to end of September, would you say it will be too late in the season to move the fish?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Be the best time ,I would think because they will be slowing down .No time is really a good time but I would think when they are getting ready to rest would be the best .Just may have to make sure water temperatures are close to the same in both the new home and the old home

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I added fish to a pond in Feb. & Mar., no problems. Just gave them enough float time to equalize the temps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think they'll be fine, especially if you can seed your new filtration with some from the established pond and blend in some pond water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gemma. Good luck with your new pond! I assume you are going larger? I would try go get the new pond cycled as much as possible before you move your fish. Are you moving your old pump and filter over to it? i think anytime except the winter and spring are good times and the fall is probably the best time. The winter is obviously bad because of snow and ice, the spring is bad because most fish have lower resistance to bacteria and you don't want to be moving them, the summer is difficult because of feeding and waste production is the highest and it's harder for new bb to get rid of all the ammonia and nitrites in a new pond, and the fall is the best time! Just my two cent because I have built new ponds in every season except the winter. Good luck!

Ask a Question