WHERE ARE ALL THE 55 GALLON BARRELS?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have been looking everywhere today for 55 gallon food grade barrel's that you all use for the DIY upflow filters and can't find any? I see people online saying they get them for free and are easy to come by? Craigslist has them but an hour away from me and cost $35 ea. Is there any big name supply stores that may have them? Im in PC Florida. Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Most food manufacturing plants get a variety of liquid products in these barrels.Do a google search in your area to see if there are any food manufacturing or processing plants or facilities in your area. Get your list and begin calling to see if they use the barrels and if you can obtain a few. You can search or ask for free things on https://groups.freecycle.org/group/PanamaCityFL/posts/all

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought mine at the flea market 5 dollars a piece I use mine for rain barrels

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I think since lots of people use them for rain barrels, people have found that they can sell them, rather than give them away, thus you not finding them so readily available. Keep looking, you will find some. If you need one today, you won't find one, or will have to pay a bunch. If you can be patient, I bet you will find them cheap and close. I get free plastic buckets (3.5 or 5 gal. size) at my local grocery store. They get lots of things in them, mostly for the bakery department. They even wash them out before giving them away. Can't beat that! I would guess places that get food products in them may reuse or recycle them, too. Sometimes the farm stores have them available to purchase. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
55 Gal Barrel.jpg
Well I just picked it up and it does not have a screw on lid or a lid in general... So I don't know how to go about cutting the top off? Will it still hold form if I do?

J.W., I got it from a Place called "77 Hardware" and they had a slightly smaller orange pickle barrel with a smaller than diameter screw on lid but they wanted $40 for it and it was not perfectly round inside either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I think if you can cut on the inside of the lid area, the structure should hold together just fine. Looks like a very stout container! Good luck. BTW, I used a heavy duty garbage container for my Skippy filter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad you found a place that sells them close to you. What you gonna do w/it now? Make a filter?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Have fun making it and when you get all done you will have nice clear water.

Ask a Question