where did my koi go?

Reaction score
I live in northwestern wisconsin and this is the third year I've had my pond. I had two koi about 8-10 inches long, had them the whole time, I just put them out last weekend after being indoors all winter, and after a couple of days they were gone. What would take them, and how do I prevent this from happening again?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Egrets, herons, racoons all will hunt and take the koi. I lost one last night even with protective netting.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Sorry.

Either they jumped out and some critter carried them away. Or a bird of prey ate them.

When they come up missing it is best to make a careful search of the area around the pond. If they have not been out too long they may live.

Raccoons can get fish too but they make such a mess you know they were there.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
trail cams work great for letting you know what is showing up, netting greatly reduces the chances of jumping and predators getting them, But not guaranteed. Does sound like they are either hiding well, jumped out and something took off with them, or a predator stopped by for a sushi buffet.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Forgot to mention. Koi frequently jump out when placed in a new pond. Once they are used to it they may jump but infrequently end up on dry land.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
they do a good job, they miss some things and they catch things that I could care less about, namely frogs and lizards, but I got notified about the coon, and my next door neighbors cat came into the back yard, I think that was a first and he was looking for our female, wasn't the least concerned with the pond. but they still let me know. I'm glad you suggested them!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
HTH said:
Forgot to mention. Koi frequently jump out when placed in a new pond. Once they are used to it they may jump but infrequently end up on dry land.

Very True!!

Reaction score
100 gallon pond + 2-8"-10" Koi=Smorgasboard for someone.

If you do not have any pets or kids that would get in to it, an electric fence works real well. All it usually takes in once for the offending critter to hit it and learn not to come back.
And don't forget about opossums. Living closer to the city like I do, they are just as bad as the raccoons at getting in the small pond for a meal.
Whatever plan of attack you go with, just add some cheap fish to entice them in so you can spring the trap.

Ask a Question